• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bach flower

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Anybody have any experience giving bach flower remedies to their birds? I have a new baby in the house and my bird is displaying some territorial behavior. I’d like to use it for the general stress of having a new babe as well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Given that as far as I’m aware there’s no scientific proof these remedies actually work I’d personally opt for not using on the bird and maybe look at some behaviour training help to correct the problem.
If I remember correctly these products are a mix of water that has flowers boiled in it and alcohol?
If you really want to give them to your bird then you’d need to know the exact flowers used in the mixture and make sure they’re safe for birds in the dilutions in the bottle and you’d also need to ensure there is no alcohol in the mix.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
The only Bach flower remedy I've been able to find that is alcohol free is Rescue Remedy for Pets (they use vegetable glycerin)....and I never noticed a difference. One of my caiques is over-exciteable! It's just me and the birds....no children to add to her energy level.
In your situation, if you can find time for behavior training, like @Shezbug said, would be best.

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
The only Bach flower remedy I've been able to find that is alcohol free is Rescue Remedy for Pets (they use vegetable glycerin)....and I never noticed a difference. One of my caiques is over-exciteable! It's just me and the birds....no children to add to her energy level.
In your situation, if you can find time for behavior training, like @Shezbug said, would be best.
Yes we use pets rescue rem at the vet hospital I work at and we’ve seen some major improvements in cats. Was curious about birds. We’re working on training, but wondered if I could supplement with any herbal calming methods. Thanks!