• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby starling needs help!

Newba

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
When we had an air duct cleaning person fix the vent for our clothes dryer, he handed us two baby birds that were inside and told us to feed them every 30 minutes.

I called the only rehabber in our area, and she said that from the picture, these are starlings, and they don't accept starlings because they're a non-native species. (When the duct cleaning guy was taking down the nest, my wife said that she could see the mother flying over in distress, and it also looked like a starling.) We live in a brick condo, so putting the nest back up in a box on the building was not an option.

We have been trying to find as much information from the internet on what to do but are having real problems. One of the starlings was much smaller than the other and unfortunately passed away a few days ago. The remaining baby starling seems to be in distress.

It seems that everyone refers to a starlingtalk.com website, but it appears to have been taken down in 2020.

Based on different pieces of information, we have tried feeding it a mix we found from the pet store that's for parrots but says it can be used for passerines. Then we read that starlings should have cat food instead, so we have tried that, mixing it with other stuff we found here - Baby Starling and Sparrow guidelines

Whatever we try, it seems to be getting weaker daily, and it seems to be gasping after being fed. We're at a loss on what to do, as my wife has been very carefully trying to take care of it and was devastated when the other one died.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Thanks so much.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunate that Starling Talk site is no longer working. It was working last week. Website is now parked meaning it has expired or is for sale. :(:(
How are you offering the food to the starling? When I fed my baby sparrow I used wooden coffee stirrers and the recipe from Starling Talk (same recipe listed on the site you posted).
I didn't add the Avian vitamins but did crush up Tums and also added unsweetened applesauce. Don't remember if I added the egg.
Sorry that you lost one of the starlings and hope that you can save this one. Thanks for trying to help them. Wish I had more advice but I have no experience with starlings.

Newba

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the tips. I think we were giving it the food the wrong way... We used a syringe-like thing from the pet store, but maybe got too close. I think it got an infection. Anyhow, here's an update - we found a rehabber who takes starlings a few hours drive away and took it there. I guess the lesson was to expand the distance in searching for rehabbers. It was certainly an emotional roller coaster, but we did what we had to in this case. Hopefully the bird will do better in their care.