• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Speckled Mousebird

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How do the rest of the poops look today?

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
They are still quite watery and clear, but with more bits of fruit and formula in them. He's pooping very often, but eating well too, although still only when I offer him the fruit

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I hope there is no infection or anything going on. How does his energy level seem? Is he bright eyed and active part of the day? How long do you leave fresh fruit out? I would rather if people are away from softbills for extended periods of time, see them give just a small amount that can be consumed in short order, than give too much that will sit out and spoil. Then feed again with fresh when you return. I do know Susanne had some that seemed to get 'spoiled' with handfeeding. Wanting and even demanding it much past the time that they should have. I like to give Gryphon large cut pieces of fruit, rather than cutting it small like I do for Pico.

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
He is very energetic and active, hopping and climbing around, still twitching a lot but it doesn't seem to worry him. I replace the fruit after a little while, I don't leave it to sit all day. Most of the time though, if I leave him in the morning for say an hour with fresh fruit in the cage, I come back and he hasn't tried any. I'm showing him where the food is, but he much prefers that I hold it while he eats. He is very demanding for food, and will 'cheep' constantly if I'm in the room. I think perhaps he is just quite spoiled! I don't want to leave him to discover the food on his own, because obviously this would be like 'starving' him until he finds the food himself, but I'm trying to go slightly longer between formula feedings, and I take him out when offering fruit and let him have a few bites from my hand, then I'll put it in front of him so that he can eat

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
@waterfaller1 @Naomi @snada I'm hoping my fellow mousers can help me out with little Twitch. He is still refusing to eat on his own! I've tried small pieces and big chunks, as well as putting high up in the cage (where he climbs) and on the floor of the cage in bowls and on plates. I've tried all sorts of different varieties. When I offer him bits by hand, he'll only eat banana, paw-paw and pear, I think its because they are really soft and easy to eat? Sometimes I have to put him in front of the food bowl and stick my finger in it, so that he thinks I'm going to give him food, then push little bits right to the adge of the bowl so that he can eat them, but even then he'll only eat a few pieces before hopping over and begging. He gives a very desperate call when he begs but I just feel that I cannot keep handfeeding him, in case he never learns to eat properly on his own! He isn't on formula anymore, just fruit. I'm getting a bit desperate! I hate having to listen to him cry but I know giving in and handfeeding him all the time isn't the right thing to do :( Any advice?

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Amy, maybe he's just not ready! Maybe he just need a little more time...sometime even some kids are a bit slow to talk .... potty train :p etc.
So when he's ready he'll eat by himself, maybe start to extend feeding times, over time stretching them - longer time periods in between feeds, but leave some food out for him, so if he gets hungry he'll help himself! :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks @Naomi , I think that sounds like a good idea! I did see him peck at a piece of paw paw in his dish this morning, so I'm feeling confident! What I'm doing is taking him and the food dish out at feeding time, and putting them on my lap. I then scoop little bits out the bowl with my finger, and try get him to eat off my finger in the bowl, that way hopefully he can start associating the dish with food! I did the same with his water and soon found him taking his first water bath :D

IMG-20140317-00452.jpg

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Too cute man :xflove:...just a bit slow....little one :laugh: but oh my word Amy he's grown!
Has he?? I hadn't noticed, he's still so small and cuddly and just gets WAY too many hugs and kisses :xflove: :p This morning he went straight to his food dish when I put it in the cage! Although he still makes little noises like I can't see that he's capable of feeding himself ;) Poked himself in the eye this morning while trying to hold onto a piece of fruit! Too cute for words :wacky: :roflmao:

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Cute man, they are so entertaining! :hilarious:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
It's been a while since I posted about my special Twitch! He's getting so big now, and his tail has grown a lot! Right not he's sitting on my laptop trying to get attention (who can resist that little face, right??). I think he's starting to grow out of his 'twitch' a bit, he doesn't seem to be doing it too often! Still slightly, but definitely not as bad as before :) At the moment he refuses to eat anything other than banana, paw-paw and pear, but I put other fruit in his bowl, so at least he's getting a taste and will hopefully start eating them in the future :) It's getting colder now so he loves to come out in the mornings and cuddle in my hair or in my clothes (or sit under my hand while I'm trying to type, like he is now) :xflove: No Twitchy, you can't eat the letters on the keys :laugh:

Last edited:

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Hey Amy!!!
LOL Awwwwwww sweety!!! I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so well now! I would love to see some pictures of how he looks now!:p
Luckily he's beak isn't curved and so he will have to give a lot more effort into breaking off they keyboard keys! :D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you for the update! :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Here are some pics of Twitch and Nimh :)

IMG_0452.JPG
:xflove: :heart:
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

I'm a little bit concerned as Twitch doesn't seem to be quite himself. The past 2 days he has been quite inactive, and he looks a bit unbalanced. He's been sitting at the bottom of his cage in his 'nest' rather than climbing along the top like he usually does. I know its been rather cold lately so he has had a hot water bottle at night and in the mornings (which is probably why he has been sitting at the bottom of the cage a lot) but I'm still worried he might not be feeling too well. I am thinking about putting him on formula for a few days if he seems to get weaker. Keeping a very close eye on him!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I wonder if he just has some kind of issue that is genetic. Hence the twitching and unbalance. Sending you positive energy for Twitch! :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They are absolutely adorable together!!!:cloud9:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks @waterfaller1 , it is definitely a possibility! He also seems a bit small, and I'm not sure if he's growing much anymore?? But it might just seem that way because I see him everyday and don't notice a difference ;) He is getting loads of new feathers and his tail has definitely grown so I think that is a good sign :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It could also be why you found him. He could have been ousted from the flock for being slow. :(