• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby red belly

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are both so cute. It would be hard for me to choose.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you set on the female?

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
No... I have no experience with poi's. I have dealt with female lovebirds, pionus and Amazon in the past. Seems to be a common opinion that females are a little calmer maybe and not quite as nippy. I have no experience in any of that tho so I really don't know. One of the girls is sold already. There is a male and prob a female to pick from. She also has a Senegal for rescue and I think a Meyers as well

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Ironically, when I went to Avalon for the first time about 20 years ago it was for a jardines. Ended up with a bh pionus. Then I went back for a jardines and ended up with the Amazon. Contacted them this time for a jardine and they aren't breeding them anymore. They lost their female.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like Pois and if I was just starting out I would probably get a Cape Parrot and perhaps even a Jardine. I used to go to a wonderful bird store but the owner decided to sell several years ago. The new owners were shady and the store finally closed. I got my Senegal from the original owner but she also had red-bellied babies and I wasn't sure if I wanted the Senegal or a r-b but the r-bs were more $$ and the Senegal just called out to me. As years went by I still thought about getting an r-b but then decided I wanted to breed Senegals. Went out to purchase a pair and wound up bringing home a pair of r-bs who are the parents of the babies I have.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So I am not the only one lol. She does have capes right now. I am so tempted lol. Yes I went to CSU and Sarah was my classmate ❤ She wouldn't know me as Burke but in school I was Swartz.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be very tempted to get a Cape. They are not easy to find and I've read only good things about them but my flock is full here. Carbon monoxide....very scary. Good that she was able to remove the birds. Might be nice of you to give the plucked Cape a loving permanent home.

Taking dog to see Sarah next month. Will let her know. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
None of mine are in ss cages. If I had the $$$ they would be. Some are in Avian Adventures cages, some in Marvelous cages and a few in some Coast cages. Marvelous & Coast no longer in business. I need to upgrade a few of them and will probably just get some more Avian Adventures cages although I would like to try a King's aluminum cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So are you getting the male red-belly instead of a female?

mulsculbabes.jpg

Here are two of my babies, Mulder (right) and Scully (left). Photo taken in '97.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Love it!!! I am leaning towards the boy because we really had a good time yesterday. I haven't confirmed with her. I am just on the fence because I keep seeing how mature makes can be more nippy than females. I know all birds bite from time to time, and I know it's all in an individual basis. So to answer your question I'm not sure....I love him and the females have been so noninteracyive so far.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My most outgoing and friendly red-belly is one of my females Sophie. Her older sister (sadly gone :(:(:() was just as friendly and probably even more so. The youngest female, Claudé, is the one who went through a long phobic/fear period. She is friendly towards me, a bit standoffish with strangers but only for a short period of time and can be a bit nippy especially when she doesn't want to go back in her cage. Best of luck with your choice. All of my males can be nippy but others here may have different experiences with their male red-bellies.
@saroj12

@Applebutter
I don't remember who else has a male red-belly.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Amy- I have you on FB, I'm the one with Doobie :) well, both my males are rescues both previously owned by the same person, they're also polar opposites in regards to personality and behavior. With Doobie I couldn't ask for a better bird, he is truly a special boy to me and so intelligent. He never bites, no behavior issues and is a true love bug. Mickey on the other hand is a grouch and will bite you if he can.

I wouldn't worry too much about him being a male, he chose you so I would go for that one but If it scares you too much than I would pick a girl. I really don't think you'll have too many problems with him :)

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
thanks you guys! The good thing is I have you guys to help me should I have a problem!! I work from home now and he will have a lot of out of cage time, training and good food. The only bird in my past that was a biter was the quaker who I took in from a friend who was nasty biter even as a baby. I know bites are going to happen being a parront...and a lot has to do with socialization, attention, and training. I appreciate you guys so much!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rudy my rb is a very sweet bird. he used to be nippy when i adopted him but now he resists the temptation to bite.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Excellent. Is it true they need a stainless steel cage?
Rudy is in one but when he was in a powder coat he never chewed at the paint.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Applebutter Didn't know you had 2 red-bellies. Maybe I missed that somewhere. Could you post a photo of Mickey and, btw, how is Doobie doing?

@amy burke Just go with your "gut" regarding the birds. That male is already interacting with you and he seems very sweet. If you don't find yourself falling for the female and you like the male, then go with that choice. It's hard to predict whether or not a bird will be nippy. You just do the best you can to work with them and raise them in a positive and loving environment.