• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baby Mouse bird (Sad update-post #22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobZ_1989

Moving in
Real Name
Brett
Hi all, I found a baby mouse bird yesterday and took him in in the evening when its parents never showed up. I have been following all the advice that i could find on here and it seems to be doing quite well! I think it is a Speckled Mouse bird as I have not seen any of the other species in our area. I would like you to please give me any advice you have on the care of this little bird as i wish to try and hand raise him as a pet :D. Also could someone try and put an age on him please, I think he looks 7 or 8 days old.

PS: Ignore the mess around his beak, it was just after feeding and we make quite a mess trying to get pronutro into him until we get a syringe :p I will clean him up after his next feed

Attachments

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have no advice but I will alert the moderators as I think this needs to be moved to 911.. :hug8: We also have a resident Mousebird expert Suzanne so I will PM her as well.. :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Under the breeding section in this link has info on hand-feeding:                    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mousebirds - HOME

The links page has some contact info of someone in your country to help: Links -                    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mousebirds

HEAT IS A PRIORITY for the baby in order for it to digest. Without heat you will lose the bird. SECOND PRIORITY is to rub the vent of the baby to stimulate it to poop prior to each time you feed it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yay...Susanne is here. Thanks Susanne.:hug8:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Welcome to AA. Good luck with your mouse bird.;)

BobZ_1989

Moving in
Real Name
Brett
Thanks you all soo much! Yeah i have been keeping him as warm as possible, and yes i have been stimulating him to "vent". I was wondering how active should he be at this age? He moves around a little in his nest and likes to climb into my hand for feeding. And whether it is safe to start giving him some small chunks of fruit? I will take him to a vet this weekend to make sure he wasn't injured in his fall.

Oh and I actually found your site last night, Susanne, and have been doing what i can from there since then

Last edited:

BobZ_1989

Moving in
Real Name
Brett
I just got a syringe and fed him, wow does he eat alot! 3cc of pronutro and then about 1cc of puree'd apple. I also just found a heating pad that i have placed near him in his box.

PS: he is still gaping for more, should i keep feeding till he stops?

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Check the crop...sac about neck level. That gets full when they are full. Birds will still ask for more food even when they are full so it is important to check the crop.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for taking this little one in. Please keep us updated :) Welcome to AA!!!

BobZ_1989

Moving in
Real Name
Brett
Ok cool, I just checked after his last feed and he seems quite satisfied :dance5:He's down for a nice long sleep now :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for bringing him in, keep us updated on the little cutie.

BobZ_1989

Moving in
Real Name
Brett
He seems to be doing well today, I noticed that he has started pooping by himself between feeds, I'm hoping this is a good thing? I am still "venting" him before feeds though. I will post more pics later when i get him in the sun again.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Mousebirds do not have a crop.

BobZ_1989

Moving in
Real Name
Brett
Thanks waterfaller1, I think i remember reading that on Susanne's site. One question, should he be pooping on his own by now? he has done so about 5 times today and i was wondering if that might be because i was not helping him enough? I do vent him every time I feed him but I just want to be sure

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have not personally raised babies, but would go by Susanne's website. I think she did so for a couple weeks at least. If he is going on his own that's great. You might have his age off by a few days. Just a few days makes a huge difference with these guys. They grow so fast! You seem like you have it under control. Wishing you and the little one the best.:) What will you name him?

Status
Not open for further replies.