• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby help needed!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
Hey Guys! Ok so today I went to a bird fair and I immediately fell in love with a baby Quaker(Not fully weaned).he isn't fully weaned, and he is on 1-2 feedings a day. He isn't fully feathered yet either, we feed him with a spoon instead of a syringe (The breeder said it was ok) and he is starting to eat on his own. Can someone please give me some advice on weaning babies? Do they always go to their cage fluffed up after they play? Any table foods I can feed him besides the cockatiel mix I feed him? Please it would help me so much if u could answer these questions and give me further advice! Lol he is fluffed up rite now,is that normal lol? Also IN his cage he has one toy, a towel, and two perches is that ok? WIll he need to be fed at night?
Thanks guys!!!!:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Last edited:

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
You can start feeding him anything you would feed an older bird- veggies, fruit, oatmeal, brown rice, etc. Hopefully someone more experienced will pipe in, but if the baby is not fully feathered, I am pretty sure one or two meals a day aren't enough....? I would expect three or four meals a day. I could be wrong...

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
He is mostly feathered, he is just not fully feathered around his neck otherwise everything else is fully feathered.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I would definitely make it three feedings a day. Esp if he is not eating any solids. As for solids pellets, seed, millet, and lots of fresh food.

Kimberly1985

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kimberly
I agree....I think at this stage, he needs to be fed at least 3 times a day. I also pmed you with more details.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Hmm it would be a lot better with a syringe. I've heard babies can aspirate when being fed with a spoon, but I'm not 100% on that. I'd definitely offer him some finely chopped veggies and fruits, you can also get some pellets to soak to try and appeal to him. I think they even make a weaning type of pellet. That along with some seeds should help coax him onto a good healthy diet. If he's not fully feathered you might want to get him in an aquarium and have a heating pad to make sure he keeps warm. He could be fluffing up because he's not able to keep his body heat. I'm sure other folks will have a lot better suggestions then me, those were just the ones that came to mind.

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
You can use a syringe to put a little in his beak at a time. It will take a little longer but is safer than trying to "shove" the syringe down his throat.
Weigh the little guy daily to make sure he is getting enough food.
I am sure that experienced handfeeders will also give you advice

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
You can use a syringe to put a little in his beak at a time. It will take a little longer but is safer than trying to "shove" the syringe down his throat.
This is exactly what I do with Gracie. I never just plunge the food down. I give about 1/2 ml/cc at a time, let her swallow and then offer it again...if she opens up or tries to touch the syringe, I repeat. I do this over and over again because I use a 1cc syringe. I just feel it's safer since I'm sort of a beginner myself. Spoon feeding never worked for Gracie and I have tried several times. But whatever works best for you and your new baby is what I'd do.

I know I gave you this link through pm, but I figured I'd post this on here in case someone else is looking for advice. Science of Handfeeding and Weaning the Baby Parrot Overview The Parrot University

Last edited:

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I would gently feed with a syringe also just to make sure. If he takes it easily then just use a baby size spoon and go real slow. Keep him comfortable and remember, there are no nestmates to keep him warm so no drafts. Try lots of soft food in a dish to see if he is ready. Try handfeeding soft foods like peaches or mangos. I would also try three times a day. You will learn by doing and this is a great time to do it. The bonding will strengthen your relationship with this little guy. You are the new mommy so get yourself some REST too!!! I have hand raised birds and been up with them for years and years. Good Luck to you and enjoy!!!!!:heart: If you have never used a syringe, take it very slow and let the bird swallow on its own. I entered the beak from right to left angling the syringe a bit so that the bird does not aspirate. I never forced the food. I always take my time.

Katherine

Last edited:

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
Well he is starting to eat his seed mix and the spray millet. :) Is it ok when he is fluffed up cuz he is a baby or is he sick?
Also today is his first day and he didn't really eat in the morning.. when should I feed him again?
Thank u so much u guys its just that its my first time hand feeding a baby.

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
Fluffed up for short periods of time are okay. It can mean he's happy. If he didn't eat first thing in the morning, you can wait an hour or two and try again. If he refuses this time, just wait until it's time for his next feeding.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Can you post some pictures? How often are you offering food now? I would offer it at least 4 times a day until he starts eating more food on his own. I am worried that he seems to be fluffed up quite often...what temperature is the room he is in?

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
My house is at 77 degrees but it mite be cooler cuz we have our patio door open..
I hope nothing is wrong with him:(

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
Do baby quakers chew there feet cuz he does to his right foot alot. He seems to be acting normal and everything. Rite now he is just preening

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
You sound just like me back in 1972 when I got my baby Blue and Gold. He was a lot of bird for a newcomer to the world of parrots! I think you are doing just fine. You are thinking things through. I am following your posts and everything sounds great to me.

Katherine:)

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
Is it normal if my baby sleeps on the perch instead on the towel I give him?
Thanks and it would be awesome if u could answer this question.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Yes it is perfectly normal for him to sleep on a perch. If you are worried about him falling make sure the perch is low and you can place a towel underneath it

Yes babies will eat, sleep and poop the majority of the time :) with a little play thrown in here and there

Status
Not open for further replies.