• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby goat not nursing- any experience?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
About 28 hours ago my daughter's goat gave birth to 2 babies. They were both lively at the start. Mama is attentive and stands still for the babies. The female appears to be happily nursing, but the boy is not. My daughter milked mama and tried to bottle feed the boy baby with little success. His temperature went down and they brought him in the house overnight and used blankets and a heat lamp and got temp back up. SIL is on route to the emergency vet and they will tube feed the baby. Any similar experiences?

And BTW, daughter bought this goat already pregnant. She planned to keep the females (they already have 4 others) and give at least one boy to her friend.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is too late for me to call my Auntie but I will try to contact her in the morning and see what information she can give me on baby goats, she breeds them. Hopefully someone else who knows goat stuff will help out first though. The vet will hopefully give a heap of advice too so fingers crossed all goes well for the little one.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I have this happen sometimes with goats. Usually, they become weak and will lose interest if not eating within a few hours. You have to force the baby to take a little bit every few hours. Cut a hole in the nipple of the bottle, so it flows easily and the baby doesn't have to work hard for the milk. After a day or so, they become much stronger and hungrier. They will then nurse the bottle on their own and become strong and healthy. Sometimes the mom will take them back sometimes she won't.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shezbug that is so kind of you!

@scrape my daughter read about cutting the nipple wider and did try that! He is now with the vet and being tube fed. They called and said he looks good and temperature is fine. I hope he's OK and can return to be fed by Mama which surely is a healthier choice. Thanks for your input!

A goat vet is visiting the farmette today to check on Mama and her other new baby, as well as the other 4.

Editing to ask @scrape what is that sweet thing in your profile pic?
Aww I looked at your profile page and see it's a baby mouse!

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds great!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shezbug it looks like our boy goat will be OK. He's being tube fed and is in stable condition.
So don't bother your Auntie, but I sure thank you for the offer.
:heart:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh, terrible update. The baby goat died at the vet's office. She had him stable and was very optimistic. She said that he should have survived with their interventions so she is guessing something "developmental" was going on. So sad.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry. :( Similar situations have happened to us before. Goat kids are a lot like birds; you'll think they're stable and ok and then they're suddenly gone. Must have been some underlying problems that also kept him from having the urge to drink; I always get worried when a baby doesn't have that strong instinct. It's usually a symptom of more, deeper issues going on. I hope momma and the baby girl are doing well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear the sad news. What a bummer.
Hope everything goes well for all the other goats.

Reactions: Ali

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry. :( Similar situations have happened to us before. Goat kids are a lot like birds; you'll think they're stable and ok and then they're suddenly gone. Must have been some underlying problems that also kept him from having the urge to drink; I always get worried when a baby doesn't have that strong instinct. It's usually a symptom of more, deeper issues going on. I hope momma and the baby girl are doing well.
Thanks so much for your reply! Just now my daughter texted that "the vet looked inside and he had an abnormality in his small intestine and nothing could pass through." So sad. He never had a chance.

So sorry to hear the sad news. What a bummer.
Hope everything goes well for all the other goats.
Thanks so much. Yes, the Mama and other kid are doing well, frolicking around in the light rain right now.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry Sweetheart,,,

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for you and your daughter.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sad with you. Mama may know what the problem was but she speaks only goat. Hugs......

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Editing to ask @scrape what is that sweet thing in your profile pic?
Aww I looked at your profile page and see it's a baby mouse!
That's Simon, a baby mouse I rescued. Thank you for asking! He was/is very important to me.

Sorry on the baby goat. Nature can be cruel

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for all your kind responses to our sad story with our little boy goat that didn't make it. But what a difference 3 weeks makes! Meet baby Gwenie! She is a healthy happy little lady with a very attentive Mama. I can't stop watching this video, lol

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi @Dona I'm sorry I missed your post. Please pass this on to your daughter, it's excellent information and something I still reference (especially as my memory is getting worse.) I've been able to bring them back from the brink, but it's not always the best thing for them long term. This will help her with technique and get experience knowing what she is looking at and what to do.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi @Dona I'm sorry I missed your post. Please pass this on to your daughter, it's excellent information and something I still reference (especially as my memory is getting worse.) I've been able to bring them back from the brink, but it's not always the best thing for them long term. This will help her with technique and get experience knowing what she is looking at and what to do.

Thanks so much! I passed on the link to my daughter. She definitely wants to know everything possible to give her little herd a good life. But she doesn't plan to breed. It was one and done. She purchased the female already pregnant. She has all girls now.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your daughter's loss. We raise sheep at the farm. Sounds like birth defect with that poor baby boy. So sorry again.