• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Gecko!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I was looking at my terrarium this evening and spotted a tiny baby gecko on the glass!

Can you spot her?

20210427_220031.jpg

You'll have to look very close.

Let's enhance the image:

20210427_220039.jpg

And even closer:

20210427_220046.jpg

She is so ridiculously tiny! Maybe one or two centimeters long. So precious. :heart:

Here she is from above, so you can see her coloring.

20210427_220121.jpg

Apologies for the blue lighting. Mourning geckos tend to be nocturnal, so they are most active at night when my "moon" lighting is on.

During the day, they tend to hide behind leaves or in tight spaces.

20210427_220155.jpg

And here is the baby gecko's parent:

20201119_233247.jpg

It is hard to tell from the picture, but she is much larger. Still small, for a gecko. Mourning geckos are "micro-geckos". They only get about 8 to 10 centimeters long, fully grown.

I only have one adult gecko. And now one baby gecko ... or maybe two? Mourning geckos reproduce by laying one or two self-fertile eggs. They are almost always female.

20200722_054919.jpg

I'm quite happy. For the longest time I couldn't even find my adult mourning gecko. I thought she might be dead or escaped. I got her as a tiny baby gecko, not much larger than this new little one.

Here she is next to the 2 ounce condiment cup she came to me in:

20190821_194732.jpg

For a while, she was spending her days tucked behind the thermometer near the front of the terrarium, so I could check on her regularly. But she must have out grown that location, because she moved her day-time sleeping spot to a different spot and I couldn't find her for months. Finally spotted her one night on the glass at night and then started seeing her more often from then on. I think because the greenery was taking over the tank and she finally felt secure enough to come out where I could see her occasionally.

And now she has multiplied!

20201117_230744.jpg

"Soon my gecko army will be ready and the Uprising will begin. Prepare yourself, human."

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I love geckos so much!
The babies are the most perfect little things :heart:
We get them in the house sometimes, I try to catch them and move them outside but sometimes they somehow end up sharing the room with Burt and I lol. I can’t imagine how exciting it must be knowing your set up is perfect enough for babies to be produced. That is awesome!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yeah, it is a good sign that my momma gecko is relaxed and happy. I am very thrilled.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a tiny cutie! Your set up looks fantastic - no wonder she feels secure enough to lay eggs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Adorable! And I adore your set up!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so cool that they can produce self fertile eggs on their own!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It's so cool that they can produce self fertile eggs on their own!
Yeah, it reminds me of Jurassic Park.

"Life, uh, finds a way." :)

Mourning geckos are a common house gecko in many tropical areas, like the South Pacific islands, Central and South America, and Hawaii. They form colonies that are essentially a bunch of natural clones, genetically identical to each other. Since they do not reproduce sexually, a mourning gecko's daughters inherit all of her genes.

Mourning gecko colonies that have existed on isolated islands for many years will shows signs of genetic drift due to random mutations that can occur during cell division. So a Hawaian mourning gecko might look a little different from a Patagonian mourning gecko or a South Pacific mourning gecko, but I can expect my baby gecko will look indistinguishable from my older gecko when she reaches adulthood.

It is quite fascinating.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I was cleaning the terrarium today and found a little surprise.

20210905_160906.jpg

Two little gecko eggs!

Mourning geckos typically lay eggs in pairs. They are glued to a surface in a secluded area and left to hatch on their own.

20210905_160914.jpg

I forgot to take a "before" picture, but this is the full view of the terrarium when I was done clearing the vines. The eggs are nicely hidden far in the back.

20210905_160932.jpg

The plants were very overgrown, so I had to remove quite a few vines and open things up so I could actually find my frogs and geckos again.

20210905_161456.jpg 20210905_161504.jpg

I spotted one of the baby geckos from earlier, now much larger. But she was too fast and escaped my camera.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Lovely terrarium! And what a cute gecko baby!

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
OMG! I love geckos!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have a couple wild Geckos in the house here..they just get in...shhhhh! Dont tell hubby...he would flip! :eek::p