• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby budgie splayed legs

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi, so my budgies have recently had a clutch of 4 eggs (the first was laid 37 days ago, and is sadly the only one to survive as one of the four eggs never hatched, 1 baby died a couple days after hatching and I just found the other dead today, it was tiny for its age and had barely developed even though only hatching a couple days after the first) Anyway, I took the baby out so I could clean the nest, and noticed his legs looked very splayed. I’m not sure if this is how baby budgies legs look normally but just to be safe I just wanted to know if they are splayed is there any way to reverse it? Thanks in advance

Attachments

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Hi! I don't know exactly, since I have never seen baby birds. But, I am pretty sure he was born with splayed legs. It happens sometimes!
Try reading this:
Caring for a Bird with splayed legs
In summary, I think that budgie baby was born with splayed legs. So he or she might not be able to move around easily. You can read the article if you want more info.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, lots of times they splay because of improper nesting material or not enough nesting material. Can you show us your nest?
Since you’ve caught it early, there’s a good chance it can be fixed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe this link will help;

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Hi! I don't know exactly, since I have never seen baby birds. But, I am pretty sure he was born with splayed legs. It happens sometimes!
Try reading this:
Caring for a Bird with splayed legs
In summary, I think that budgie baby was born with splayed legs. So he or she might not be able to move around easily. You can read the article if you want more info.
Chicks are not born with splayed legs, it is caused by improper husbandry.

@Birdman696 can you tell us or post a picture of the nest?

You need to be using a nest that has a concave bottom, and has proper nesting material. A lot of nest boxes these days are made out of plastic which is problematic because it is slippery and the chicks can't grip it and their legs end up splayed. To add grip, you can line the nest with paper towel and then nesting material (aspen or pine shavings) on top of it. This will allow the remaining chick to grip the material and will help keep the nest box clean. (Change the material every day, so it doesn't grow bacteria)

The link that Zara posted above is great and will show you how you can help fix this problem. It definitely IS fixable with early treatment, so please do this right away.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Aww I'm so sorry the other babies didn't make it. But one of my budgies had splayed legs as a baby! The breeder I got him from put something around his legs to help the legs got back to normal. Not really sure how it worked or how bad his splayed legs were but here's a picture of what the brace looked like
9770.jpeg