• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby budgie passed

Budgies786

Checking out the neighborhood
After putting the nest box in with fake eggs to prevent further laying, my bird layed an egg and while I was recovering from surgery, it hatched. I heard peeping and that's when I discovered the baby on day 1. She didn't go back in the nest box for over 12 hours so that's when I started feeding the baby. Everything was going well and it was night 3 going to 4 when I was feeding the baby with a spoon (formula was right temp) and was getting ready to reheat the rice bag that was under the aspen shavings, when all of a sudden the baby is eating fine just closes their beak and starts going limp. The baby starts getting cold quick so I ran to heat up the rice bag and put it in for 20 seconds with the baby in my hand trying to give warmth, but it was too late. I'm not sure if there was something wrong before now and I couldn't tell because I'm not sure they were growing fast enough or if somehow the baby aspirated. I'm just taking it really hard because everything was going so well and looking so hopeful.

Their crop was emptying normally and pooping regularly, too. This is a picture from that day, is this a normal size for a three/four day old budgie?????

Attachments

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
From past experience im guessing there was something wrong with the baby. Thats probably why the mother didnt bother with it.
This baby was one or three. It was heartbreaking to watch the parents ignore it. Like you, i tried feeding it but it ended up dieing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
May the baby budgie rest in eternal peace.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, I am sorry for your loss,

The set up you have for the chick could be the culprit. Fluctuations in temperature is a big problem and using warmed rice bags to keep the area warm will result in temperatures that are unsteady. The area is quite large too so it is important to have a plug in mat or a propper brooder to keep the temperature up and steady.

Ultimately there's no way to know the actual cause without a necropsy, and even then, you might never know.

Does your hen have any more eggs? Are there any more chicks?

Budgies786

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I am sorry for your loss,

The set up you have for the chick could be the culprit. Fluctuations in temperature is a big problem and using warmed rice bags to keep the area warm will result in temperatures that are unsteady. The area is quite large too so it is important to have a plug in mat or a propper brooder to keep the temperature up and steady.

Ultimately there's no way to know the actual cause without a necropsy, and even then, you might never know.

Does your hen have any more eggs? Are there any more chicks?
No, that was the only egg she laid because the rest were fake eggs I put in there so she wouldn’t lay. Her eggs were never fertilized in the past so that’s why this was so unexpected.
The rice bag was being heated every 1-2 hours and she was being covered with a sock, box closed with a slight opening, and covered with a tshirt. She was having some crop problems and I had fixed that, but I’m almost certain now that she aspirated the formula and the guilt is tearing me apart.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for your loss.