• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Biting Problem

Birbie23

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rebecca
My 5 month old presumed female sun conure Shotzi has suddenly developed a biting problem. She was never mistreated, I got her a week ago, and she used to be sweet. Bites are happening when she tries to preen my fingers and she's going from lightly grabbing my fingers with her beak to actually biting down and holding on. I put my other hand on her beak and tell her no bite, but it doesn't seem to be working. Putting her back in the cage doesn't seem to work either. Shotzi has uneven wings, with 1 being half a wing and the other being a full wing. Been trying to support her more when I hold her to see if the biting is from fear of falling. Bites are more pinches, she's relaxed and willingly gets on my hand, so I'm thinking it's she's getting carried away with "preening" my fingers, as there are no signs of aggression.
I don't mind Shotzi preening my fingers and giving kisses, but I DO mind when she pinches!
I have tried holding a piece of cuttlebone in my other hand for Shotzi to chew on when she's out on my hand, but she ignores it to bite hard to "preen" my fingers
Is this a phase that Shotzi will outgrow??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try to avoid situations where she is nipping. Figure out when it happens, and the reduce those opportunities. It could be overstimulation, so she needs to be stopped before she get's worked up.
Then up the amount of foraging activities.
Include larger pieces of veggies in her diet to explore.
Be sure she has a variety of toys, and show her how to use them. You want her to be able to entertain herself and not only rely on your for entertainment (including biting you).
Young birds definitely go through a phase of exploring their beaks and testing the boundaries. It is important you introduce her to toy pieces, different woods and textures, foods in skins, thing to fidget, things to break.
Enrichment will help reduce the biting.
And even when you're doing your best, if she does land a bite, just put her down on the nearest safe surface and ignore her for a minute or two (Don't cage her).

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
Try to avoid situations where she is nipping. Figure out when it happens, and the reduce those opportunities. It could be overstimulation, so she needs to be stopped before she get's worked up.
Then up the amount of foraging activities.
Include larger pieces of veggies in her diet to explore.
Be sure she has a variety of toys, and show her how to use them. You want her to be able to entertain herself and not only rely on your for entertainment (including biting you).
Young birds definitely go through a phase of exploring their beaks and testing the boundaries. It is important you introduce her to toy pieces, different woods and textures, foods in skins, thing to fidget, things to break.
Enrichment will help reduce the biting.
And even when you're doing your best, if she does land a bite, just put her down on the nearest safe surface and ignore her for a minute or two (Don't cage her).
I'm going to take your advice for my new cockatiel. :lol:

He is very friendly, wants to come out and walk up my arm to sit on my shoulder. He is very sweet playing with my hair, but if he gets ahold of my ear!!! :wideyed: He started with a nibble, then a nice hard bite!

So far, I'm giving him millet and treats to occupy his attention. He goes after the millet like he's starving! Years ago, I had a hand fed baby cockatiel that never ever bit me... so this is new!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but if he gets ahold of my ear!!! :wideyed:
Do you have your ears pierced? I take mine out when the birds are out to avoid drawing attention.

The post I wrote is good advice for young small parrots (budgies, 'tiels, lovebirds).
Busy beaks bite less :)
My lovebirds all went through the beaky phase, exploring their beaks and seeing how strong they were, I found that once we were on the other side of that, I have had no issues with biting at all.

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
Do you have your ears pierced? I take mine out when the birds are out to avoid drawing attention.

The post I wrote is good advice for young small parrots (budgies, 'tiels, lovebirds).
Busy beaks bite less :)
My lovebirds all went through the beaky phase, exploring their beaks and seeing how strong they were, I found that once we were on the other side of that, I have had no issues with biting at all.
I don't wear earrings very often anymore, I have a sort of allergic reaction to any metal inserted into my skin. :lol: So .. it's more, I think, he is just testing out his beak. He bites everything !!

He hasn't explored his cage much, yet... but I know he will. He's getting better at moving around and I've moved things so he has access to toys, food bowls, water bowls, etc. I'm going to get some toys that I can give him when he's sitting on my shoulder... but as you know - he'll drop them and I'll be picking them up every 2 seconds :D

Maybe I'll make a toy necklace!!!