• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

B&G with bad infection, 95% gram negative bacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Hey all... my B&G had a runny nose this morning and stinky diarrhea so we rushed her to the vet.

She had laid 3 eggs maybe a month and a half ago, which got broken, so I guess since she didn't lose interest in them on her own, she decided to lay 2 more this week.. her stools had been off anyway which I had attributed to the egg laying.. kind of loose but more formed.. she would poop much less often and in huge amounts when she got off the eggs which I thought was normal as that is what she did many years ago when she laid eggs.

Well the vet did a cloaca swab and when he came back he said macaws should have mostly gram positive bacteria and she has 95% gram negative.

He prescribed SULFAMETHOXAZOLE-TMP, 1 mg twice daily and we are to call in a few days.. next step is blood work and maybe xrays..

I am concerned however because she seems to be off balanced now. I just gave her the first dose but she became off balance before that.. actually at the vets but we thought it was because she became so flustered with the toweling and all... I put a towel on the floor and her food and water there.. and her eggs since she still insists on sitting on them..

Just wondering.. would balance be off from a bacterial infection? Her nose isn't runny atm, not like this morning when she was actually forced to breathe through her mouth and scared me half to death. thanks...

- Sarah

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm no expert, but Tango was highly infected with gram negative bacteria when we got him and he had no grip in his legs and wobbled from lack of balance. He fell A LOT. I can't say for sure whether it was the infection or not, but it did seem to get better as he got better.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks very much.. that makes me feel a bit better.. and I'm glad Tango got better!!

- Sarah

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would think infection would make them off balance..... I hope she is all better soon!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks very much.. that makes me feel a bit better.. and I'm glad Tango got better!!

- Sarah

Me too! :)

I'm sure your baby will too. If the antibiotics don't work, try asking about OL-Immune. Tango's infection was really stubborn, and it was actually that herbal remedy along with apple cider vinegar in the water that finally kicked the bacteria out. Otherwise the antibiotics only slowed them...as soon as we stopped them, the bacteria came back. Of course I hope it's much easier for you because you are treating her right away...in his case I have no idea how long he was sick before he came to me.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh, poor thing. I hope shes feels better quickly.:hug8:

southernbirds

I am sure the bird is weakened by the infection. That is why it is wobbly. Explains why the B and G cannot stand well. Should be better by tomorrow with the medication.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks so much everyone.. I am very much relieved.. she had me worried SICK. We come HOME from the vet and then she shows that new symptom.. scared the bejesusus outta me :) she has had one dose so far and since it's grape flavored she was.. kinda ok with it.. only spat a tiny bit.. I just have to pretend to eat it first and she'll eat it no problem next time.. I was just so worried I forgot to do it this time...lol

- Sarah

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm hoping your baby gets better quickly, Sarah. :hug5:

southernbirds

Try not to worry so much. You can always call your Vet about any concerns. Have a good night and if you need more reassurance the folks are here to help.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope she feels better soon..please keep us posted about what is happening

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Well.. she laid another egg last night and she seems to just be unable to walk at all now. Poor baby.. there are three eggs now so I don't think she will lay anymore.. must be horrible to have to lay an egg when your that sick.. I'd take them away but she'd just lay more.. she still insists on siting on them!

She has had only 2 doses of medicine now.. we'll see how she does as she has more but this not being able to walk/perch thing is scaring the heck out of me. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and she fell down all the time then.. but she could still walk better than she can now :(

I'm going to inform the vet today about the walking issue just so they know.
thank you all for the reassurances and help. My middle name is worry.. I just can't help myself..

- Sarah

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of course you can't help but worry! Did the vet check her calcium levels? I highly recommend you notify the vet ASAP! This is a dire situation! I am praying she will be ok!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
What did your vet say about the runny nose? Usually if there is snot it is a respritory problem, if the inner ear is affected that could be why she is off balance.

I agree with Judy you should get back with your vet.

Let us know what happens!!

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
I called.. the particular vet she saw yesterday isn't in yet but they are leaving him the info and I will be receiving a call later on about whether or not she should come back in or give the meds a few more days to work. These folks are very nice..

The vet didn't check any calcium levels.. he just checked her out and did the cloaca swab.. he said next step would be blood work maybe xrays or something but since she is so unruly he doesn't want to subject her to that (possibly have to knock her out which scared me with her being a B&G) until we tried the meds for a few dys.. which I thought was reasonable. He thought the runny nose was from the infection with her poop getting worse.

So just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the phone to ring... checking on her incessantly.

- Sarah

Last edited:

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Vet called back.. wants to see her tomorrow for blood work :(

I mean.. I shouldn't frown.. thats probably good but I HATE to put her through that especially when she can't even freaking walk. and she is horrible at the vet I don't think I can even restrain her for bloodwork :/
Going to bring the eggs with us again so she at least calms down a little bit.. she can sit in them in the car and then we sit them on top of the carrier so she can see them while the vet checks her out..
I hope she doesn't have to stay there.. :(

Wish us luck.. and wish me luck that my bf doesn't kill me for having to go down there again.. (plus I have a doctors appt the very next day and then we are bringing both dogs to that same vet this monday for all their shots and updates...)
:/

- Sarah

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you know sarah, in tiels the lack of walking can sometimes be related to reproductive issues....so maybe in your bird it is related somehow...I think you need to ask them to do a physical of her in that regard..just thinking here...I also think you need a more thorough work up than she is getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.