• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AviX Soother Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
the Wiki says it is bleach....

Electrolysed water (EOW or EO, also known as electrolyzed oxidizing water, electro-activated water or electro-chemically activated water solution) is produced by the electrolysis of ordinary tap water containing dissolved sodium chloride.[1] The electrolysis of such salt solutions produces a solution of sodium hypochlorite, which is the most common ingredient in store-bought household bleach.
Contents

[hide]
[edit] Creation

The electrolysis occurs in a specially designed reactor which allows the separation of the cathodic and anodic solutions. In this process, hydrogen gas and hydroxide ions are produced at the cathode, leading to an alkaline solution that consists essentially of sodium hydroxide (lye). At the anode, chloride ions are oxidized to elemental chlorine. If some of this chlorine is allowed to combine with some of the hydroxide ions produced at the cathode, it disproportionates into hypochlorous acid, a weak acid and an oxidizing agent.[2] This "acidic electrolyzed water" can be raised in pH by mixing in the desired amount of hydroxide ion solution from the cathode compartment, yielding a solution of sodium hypochlorite NaOCl which is the major component of ordinary household laundry bleach. A solution whose pH is 7.3 will contain equal concentrations of hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ion; reducing the pH will shift the balance toward the acid.
[edit] Efficient disinfectant

Both sodium hydroxide and hypochlorous acid are efficient disinfecting agents;[1][3] since the effectiveness of EOW seems to increase at low pH, the acidic form of EOW is usually preferred for rinsing food-preparation surfaces, fruits and vegetables.[2]
EOW will kill spores and many viruses and bacteria.[2] Sanyo uses electrolysed water in its "virus washers".[4]
Electrolysis units sold for industrial and institutional disinfectant use and for municipal water-treatment are known as bleach generators [5]. These avoid the need to ship and store chlorine gas, as well as the weight penalty of shipping prepared bleach solutions.
[edit] EPA Approval

Although the field of electro-chemical activation (“ECA”) technology has existed for more than 40 years, companies producing anolyte solutions have only recently approached the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) seeking registration. This is due to the lack of advances in equipment that can reliably deliver the solutions in the consistent, repeatable manner needed to meet and pass the battery of various EPA product registration tests.
The EPA has conducted thorough investigations of the scientific data relative to EcaFlo Anolyte, a brand of electrolyzed water, developed by Integrated Environmental Technologies, Ltd. (“IET”). After a battery of independent lab testing performed by fully-certified, EPA-approved labs, EcaFlo Anolyte is the only anolyte solution EPA registered as a broad spectrum hospital disinfectant.[6][7]
[edit] Drawbacks

Electrolyzed water loses its potency fairly quickly, so it cannot be stored for long.[2] Electrolysis machines are expensive.[1][3] The electrolysis process needs to be monitored frequently for the correct potency.[1][3]
People selling water ionizers for home use claim the alkaline water provides health benefits[1] without harming healthy tissue,[8] but these claims are not supported by scientific research and contradict basic aspects of chemistry and physiology.[9] [10]

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saroj ..

I'm sorry, I didn't know about it possibly being a "bleach" type product, or having components similar to bleach.

I guess I really can't speak to it's safety, but Enkidu is certainly alive and well, as are several of my other birds who I have treated.

I've even used it on myself several times .. once for a bit of Poison Ivy, once for a burn from the oven, and another time for a bad cut I got on my knuckle that just wasn't healing because of it's location.

All I can say is it did a great job in every application I used it for. The Poison Ivy didn't "creep", and the painful itching stopped. The burn didn't welt up as badly as it usually would have, and while the cut still took time to heal, it didn't look so red and angry all the time.

I've treated a few birdie boo boos with it besides Enki .. a cut on a foot, and a blood feather issue.

I don't know what to say .. it definitely has performed for me. Perhaps it's one of those things that when mixed one way, it can be harmful, but when mixed another way, it's perfectly safe??

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I don't doubt it's safe Merlie....:hug8:
I'm taking her in at noon for a piperacillin shot. Her left wing started bothering her last night and now in the light of day it looks pale and slimy at the edge bone. I put HealX Soother ointment on it which numbed the pain some and she flew around a bit and ate. But definitely needs antibiotics imo. My regular vet is out today so i asked the other vet in the clinic to get the dosage from her.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Good luck, Saroj. Let us know how she is doing.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I used the avix soother spray on nani's legs as they get itchy and she picks at them this time of year....well, I turned around to do something and I swear like two minutes later, I turn around and she had pulled out most the feathers on her legs! I freaked ! I misted her to remove the soother spray and threw it out. Now all she is doing is picking at the feathers as they come in....I hate myself for using it on her:(

Status
Not open for further replies.