• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aviator size for Ruppell's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
So, I plan on harness training Ruby very soon. I'm curious as to if I should get a Petite or an X-small?

The parrot university site says that Petite- 75g to 110g, and X-small- 110g to 170g. Ruby is 105g right now, but I feel that the Petite's head loop might be a little too tight. What are your thoughts?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have x-small of my small Pois.
Bear in mind she might still gain some weight :)

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Love her name, btw :heart: I would check with the specific companies that you plan to purchase your harness from because each company may have a varied size difference within the Petite or X-Small, so depending on the brand of the harness, the same size harness may actually be different among different brands.

As for her weight, she seems light, but she is still a baby and will certainly put on weight in the next few months. Although Zander and Zorro are 119g and 134g respectively, they are males, so this could be a determining factor as to why they are heavier than Ruby. You may find that if you purchase a harness that fits Ruby now, you may need purchase a new one if a few months if she outgrows it (if she gains weight significantly).

Did I mention that I love her name? :D ;)

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Yeah, she's a bit on the skinnier side. (Still not eating very well, I've now got 3 fussy birds that don't like food :shocked4:) I guess I'll look around for a bit more, but probably go with xsmall.

Zander is huge!!! It went from "Ruppell" then "Rupy" for short, then it just slid to Ruby. :D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
When I got Zuri in 2009, he started around 107g. He felt skinny. He was a year and a half then, but i doubt he had the chance to do much exercise before coming to live here. As the years passed, he added weight (I'm guessing some muscle and he became a better eater) and is now between 125g and 130g :)

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Yeah, she's a bit on the skinnier side. (Still not eating very well, I've now got 3 fussy birds that don't like food :shocked4:) ...

Have you tried special treats that are on the fattening side (spray millet, Nutri-Berries, unsalted almonds, unsalted pistachios)? These may jump-start her appetite. Did the breeder give you any ideas on her favorite foods?

[/QUOTE] It went from "Ruppell" then "Rupy" for short, then it just slid to Ruby. :D
[/QUOTE]

CUTE :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.