• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Average weight for a green cheek conure?

Fritzy

Moving in
Hey guys, apologies in advance if this is a very common question but is 55-60g a normal weight for a 1-year-old green cheek conure? I was surprised when I brought him to the vet the first time and he stepped on the scale and weighed 55g. He didn’t stay put too long so I figured maybe the scale was off but they wrote down 55g for his weight. They noted it was a little on the lower side and I immediately got worried. They reassured me that my diet for him sounded good and were happy I was already feeding him fresh chop and pellets after having him for a little under two weeks.

Since then, I found using a scale for hair products that my friend had given me ages ago was perfect for weighing him, as I can just set his bowl on top and tare it then have him step up. That was a little more than a weekafter the vet visit and he was at 57g.

fast forward a few months (vet visit was just after October) and now he’s at 60g. I’m glad to see he’s been gaining, but thevery first time I googled this subject I found an AA thread from years back asking about green cheek conure weights and theirs was significantly higher than mine! Like shockingly high(lol) so I’m wondering if now, after a few years, we can maybe get a thread going on your conures’ weights?
Thanks guys. :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My Ta-dah is 74 grams not fst perfect weight

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely wasn't Koopa around 54 ish grams? Both my Greenies a Normal Wild Color and a Cinnamon Turquoise were 70 grams and 74 grams as adults.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Going by body condition is much more useful :)

Some birds are just naturally petite for their species. It's very possible that your bird is just a small cheekie and that 60g is an ideal weight for him. If he's just on the smaller side, then 74g could be overweight for him. Similarly, there are larger GCCs who would be underweight at 60g.

Is he flighted? The modest increase in weight could be due to developing his flight muscles.

Make sure you weigh him at a consistent time e.g. in the morning after his morning poo. I'm always surprised by how big those morning poos can be, and they're big enough to nudge his weight up a bit.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Straight numbers are way less important than body condition:)

View attachment 421268
This is great ...but I think is kinda an art. For me anyway. Especially between normal and thin but not skeleton thin. Wetting them down helps .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is great ...but I think is kinda an art. For me anyway. Especially between normal and thin but not skeleton thin. Wetting them down helps .
It's easier if you can hold them. Or if you trust your vet haha. This is what the vets look for, too, and why they don't express concern over "small" birds unless they are actually skinny.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
My GCC Tom weighed around 65g when I first got him almost 2 years ago, over a few months he shot up to 78g and has stayed there for over a year now! He's well muscled as we recall often.

Fritzy

Moving in
It's easier if you can hold them. Or if you trust your vet haha. This is what the vets look for, too, and why they don't express concern over "small" birds unless they are actually skinny.
19F4293C-677F-42D7-AF6E-3CD194B02782.jpeg

So THAT’S what my vet is doing here! Lol makes so much sense now. I was so jealous of how she was able to flip him on his back and hold him this way btw, he hates being on his back with me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
View attachment 421397

So THAT’S what my vet is doing here! Lol makes so much sense now. I was so jealous of how she was able to flip him on his back and hold him this way btw, he hates being on his back with me :rolleyes:
Yes exactly! It also gives them a chance to check their feet, vent, and often they will check inside their mouth from this position too. Lots of great information available at this angle!