• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Average lifespan of a Grey in captivity

Kito

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I was talking to a cashier at the pet store today who said her Grey had passed away when he was 31, and that the vet told her that was normal for a Grey in captivity.

That really took me by surprise. I had always read/thought the life expectancy was longer. I understand diet/living conditions play a huge role in this, but was just wondering if anyone had thoughts/firsthand stories on this topic?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thirty to forty years for medium sized birds such as greys, Amazons, and Ecectus. There are always outliers which I think is what confuses us because you hear about the few who live those really long lives and start to assume that's the standard. You also have people who say their bird is fifty or sixty but don't really know but have been told that from previous owners, so its subject to what is the truth.

Greys are prone to heart issues and if not on a good diet and given ample chance to exercise, e.g. fly, they can die early of things atherosclerosis, stroke, and other heart problems.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
There is an often quoted, '45-60 years'

But in reality with greys you're looking at 30-40 years in general, if you're lucky.
My vet's oldest grey patients are in that age range and so she said the same thing the cashier's vet did.
Many birds don't make it that far.

Many (most?) captive greys end up with some sort of heart issue. It really is becoming an epidemic.
When they will get it/how bad it will be is the unknown factor.

My own girl (who is a rescue) just turned 18 (we think...she might as be as old as 30) and was just diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She's had atherosclerosis for some years now.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It's shortened considerably in captivity due to the combination of poor diet and lack of exercise. Heart disease is the most common change that I've seen, and it's highly variable whether or not meds will help. One of the best things you can do for your grey is to keep them flighted and encourage them to use their wings!

The oldest grey that I've seen in captivity is in his 50s but he is in pretty poor shape.

SterlingSL

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
There is an actual study out of, I believe, the University of Michigan. I never can find it when I want to but their findings were:

Captive Greys average 42 years.
Wild Greys average 27 years.

It always grates on my nerves when I see people throwing the 80 year life span out there when it just isn't true. I have a friend whose mother is approaching 109 years old. None of us will even get close to that.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There is an actual study out of, I believe, the University of Michigan. I never can find it when I want to but their findings were:

Captive Greys average 42 years.
Wild Greys average 27 years.

It always grates on my nerves when I see people throwing the 80 year life span out there when it just isn't true. I have a friend whose mother is approaching 109 years old. None of us will even get close to that.
It drives me batty too! I would love to see that study if you can find it. I'm assuming they did a bunch of birds, not just the greys?:)

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
So, the famous Alex didn't die particularly early then. IIRC, he was 35?

This shorter span is news to me. I'm not saying it's good news, but believing a bird will very likely outlive you makes the commitment even more challenging.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So, the famous Alex didn't die particularly early then. IIRC, he was 35?

This shorter span is news to me. I'm not saying it's good news, but believing a bird will very likely outlive you makes the commitment even more challenging.
Alex did die prematurely of heart disease. I believe he was 31 and a great deal of his life he was on a fairly good diet if not a really good diet but he was also clipped his whole life too and was pretty sedentary. Greys need exercise...lots of it. Being fully flighted and encouraged to fly probably isn't enough but what else can you do? I just saw a video of someone who took their fully flighted bird to an outdoor batting cage and flew him back and forth to a friend...great idea!

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Sounds like a fun time. I have a netted hoop house that measures approx. 16'X5'. Not big enough to do much for grey (I'll probably raise some ducklings in it next summer.) Easy and relatively inexpensive structure to build, and safe for a pet bird if it is attended. My tiny indoor birds have a room to fly in, so I've never had a reason to use it for them. I'd replace the net with metal mesh, and add a roof if I wanted it for day time use with unattended parrots or finches.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Personally I think there's a dangerous trend with greys wherein people are pushing a lot of protein and fat with greys because of their (as far as we know) diet in the wild.

Whatever wild greys may eat, they are not eating for longevity but for day-to-day survival and are much more active than 99.9% of captive greys. I know that for Jacko, despite all the 'bbbbbut Harrisons is vet-recommended' that she developed fatty blood on it and that was that.

Jacko no longer gets any sort of oil, animal protein and I've pretty much banned sunflower etc seeds.
It comes too late for her to protect her, unfortunately, but my next greys (as I will not keep a single bird again) will eat the same. Low fat, vegan and lots of fresh veggies etc.

Alex actually ate a lot of sunflower seeds, peanuts and also ate for many years Harrisons High-Potency.
He also fought Aspergillosis. I also wonder about what was, in many ways, a lonely, sedentary and restricted life.

There was also a study years ago that among other things social isolation (and interestingly groups compared were pair-housed birds vs single birds) actively shortens telomeres in greys, shortened telomeres increase aging and increase disease incidence and affect mortality.
It reaffirms my belief that, honestly, what we ask of parrots to keep them/the lifestyles we subject them to, are clearly harmful to them and are killing them. All the love in the world does not change the fact that our singly-kept, often clipped, indoor companion parrots are not made to live like that.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Personally I think there's a dangerous trend with greys wherein people are pushing a lot of protein and fat with greys because of their (as far as we know) diet in the wild.

Whatever wild greys may eat, they are not eating for longevity but for day-to-day survival and are much more active than 99.9% of captive greys. I know that for Jacko, despite all the 'bbbbbut Harrisons is vet-recommended' that she developed fatty blood on it and that was that.

Jacko no longer gets any sort of oil, animal protein and I've pretty much banned sunflower etc seeds.
It comes too late for her to protect her, unfortunately, but my next greys (as I will not keep a single bird again) will eat the same. Low fat, vegan and lots of fresh veggies etc.

Alex actually ate a lot of sunflower seeds, peanuts and also ate for many years Harrisons High-Potency.
He also fought Aspergillosis. I also wonder about what was, in many ways, a lonely, sedentary and restricted life.

There was also a study years ago that among other things social isolation (and interestingly groups compared were pair-housed birds vs single birds) actively shortens telomeres in greys, shortened telomeres increase aging and increase disease incidence and affect mortality.
It reaffirms my belief that, honestly, what we ask of parrots to keep them/the lifestyles we subject them to, are clearly harmful to them and are killing them. All the love in the world does not change the fact that our singly-kept, often clipped, indoor companion parrots are not made to live like that.
I've known for quite a while that animal proteins should not be a big part if any part of most of our parrots' diet. Very rarely, I will give a bit of cheese to my guys because they love it and just a tiny amount of chicken or on very rare occasions just a little bit of egg but for the most part, I offer Roudybush pellets and fresh raw vegetables and a few seasonal fruits. I don't even feed that many nuts and I don't feed peanuts. I have a sick Amazon right now who I will give ANYTHING she will even bother to eat because she's severely underweight and doesn't seem interested in eating anything. The world is her oyster as far as food is concerned and until I get her weight up, I will give her anything she will eat, but even she seems to be only eating mostly the healthy foods I offer.

As for Alex, he was given Harrison's which does have peanuts in it. I can't say a whole lot for treats he might have been given. He also wasn't a solitary bird toward the end of his life (like the last ten years or so), but I also tend to agree that birds in general should have other birds in the house. They tend to do better even if they don't get along with that bird...I think the bird noises alone that they make is comforting. My grey Clancy is constantly yelling at everyone in the house...if he isn't telling others to "Stop it" or "Knock it off" he's tell them to "Be careful"! He's a total riot! You gotta love the greys!

Kito

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I agree, I actually had a similar thought. I have spent a lot of time worrying about that in the past.

This is such an interesting discussion, thanks everybody for replying. I've been evaluating Kito's diet lately so that info is useful as well.

SterlingSL

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
It drives me batty too! I would love to see that study if you can find it. I'm assuming they did a bunch of birds, not just the greys?:)

The info is contained here. The link to the actual scientific paper is buried in there too. I found it and read it once a while back. Sounded a lot more legit than people parroting something they've always heard.

So my memory of the numbers was a little off:

Captive avg: 45
Wild avg: 22.7

So in captivity their lifespans actually double. Good thing or bad, I don't know. I hate to see caged birds. Mine are flighted and have a bird room and an outdoor 10'x20' aviary under a tree that they get to spend the summers in and I still feel guilty about having them.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Greys are prone to heart issues and if not on a good diet and given ample chance to exercise, e.g. fly, they can die early of things atherosclerosis, stroke, and other heart problems.

How can I exercise my grey without him flying? He has plucked so bad in the past that his flights won't grow back. :(

J Irish

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm thankful I came across this site. I just had to have my Grey put to sleep on 11/3/2019 due to a sudden onset of heart failure and liver failure. Jekyll was 44 years old. This was all very sudden. I was under the impression that Grey's lived to be much older. I was beating myself up wondering what I may have done wrong. Jekyll was not on high fat food nor on seed of any kind. She had a daily routine for flying to different locations in the house. Her cage, when in it, was large enough to flap her wings. She was rarely alone and quite active. After reading all of these posts, I now feel a little relieved that it appears she actually lived a fairly long life for being in captivity. Thank you for this site and, specifically, this thread.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@J Irish I am truly sorry for you loss. I too found this site when my White Front Amazon was ill and I had opted to put her down, gout and crystals on her kidneys. She was on a seed diet and no matter how hard I tried I could not switch her diet, and yes she had peanuts. I had for for 25 years and she was fully flighted, wild caught. I don't now how old she was when I got her. My friend told me the pet store said she was five but then again they said she was a male. My vet assured me she lived a long and healthy life.

I now have Paco a 19 year old grey. He was on Hartz seed diet, he now gets fresh veggies and fruit, Lafeber Nutri Berries, Higgins Safflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds.

I worry about exercise, I'm glad this topic came up. He has been cage bound for so long, he doesn't know that he can fly. At the moment I don't have the room for him to try. He is out of his cage the entire time I am home and he walks around the top of the cage and has slid down and walked on the floor. I don't know how I can encourage wing flapping. I can't even get the bugger to play with a toy. He does have a bell he plays with. We have been together for 7 months and it's been quite a journey.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess 40 in captivity & 30 in wild is not all that off...I thought more for a grey but I guess 50 would be lucky...

I'm hoping for least 20 more years for Penny...I would be 79 & she 42...Its something possible..Rio too though he;s not my heart bird would be 25 ish...all possible but in this world one never knows...In the wild there are predators & no vets....Any of us could be in a car accident or get sick...no one knows...