• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2023 Mayor of the Avenue... Dona

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Dona is August's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

My one and only bird is Gigi! She is a 5 1/2 year old normal green Linnie.

1690724472526.jpeg

2. What got you interested in birds?

When I was in junior high I walked by a hotel on my way home. I went in once to get a drink or use the restroom and in the lobby was a mynah bird! He turned to me and said "Goin' to Chicago!" I almost fainted. I stopped by often to see my buddy and then started pestering my parents for a bird of my own. No was the answer, we have a collie, but over the years they happily took me to all the Parrot Jungles in Florida on our annual vacations. I vowed to have a bird as soon as I had my own apartment. That came true and I've shared my home and life with many birds over 40 plus years.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

So much joy! Watching birds as they go about their daily lives is amazing to me. I've loved winning over the grouchy ones, befriending the shy ones, building real relationships with wild creatures! I can't imagine my home without a bird chirping in the background. I'm hoping that Gigi lives a long life because at my age I assume she is my last bird. But of course there has been heartache too. Beloved birds have died and I've struggled to make the right connection with some.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I've definitely learned the benefits of being patient and always kind. Oh and I've also learned not to underestimate the littles! I had a border canary that hopped on his swing on request! And Gigi has some impressive skills too!

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Decades ago I had a green wing macaw. He was wild caught and a pretty calm boy. Sadly he never flew. Then one day a friend came to visit. When she was ready to leave she put on a cape and flung the edge of it over her shoulder. Cracker Jack was on top of his cage and this frightened him. He reacted by flying across the entire basement and landing on my chest with both wings out. I actually held him for a moment and comforted him.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Gigi lives in the living room during the day. At night we wheel her into our grandchildren's play room. She has sheer curtains on the doors, but can see and hear us into the evening. She chats a bit, but seems to get a good night's sleep.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes, we converted to non toxic cleaners and teflon free cookware. We are very careful when we buy things that if there is any off gassing it's done outside. I've moved furniture around to fit cages and play gyms. I hung sheer curtains on tension rods to keep Gigi contained in the family room and her sleep room. They look ridiculous but I don't care. I bought a new rug that is low pile enough that it's easy to move the cage over it twice a day. She's a big priority.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

No, just AA, but I love to visit any bird store or show.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

If I lived in an area with the right weather I'd love an outdoor aviary.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I always pined over Moluccan cockatoos. Honestly I think it was mostly the appearance. How can I resist a pink parrot? But I'm glad I never got the opportunity. I don't think I'm the right owner for a Too, but I'm always happy to look.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

At 7AM I wake up Gigi and feed her. I run errands, get work done or have the grandkids here in the morning. Then around noon I open Gigi's cage. She has 2 play areas and me to land on. She used to stay out 3-4 hours but now chooses to go back in her cage in 2-3 hours, asking for a Nutri-berry. Back in the cage, we often sit near her to eat, read and watch TV. She stays in the living room with us til 7:30 and then we wheel her back to her sleep room.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've learned to be patient. I take time to read body language. I try very hard not to ever get bitten. For me, I find once it happens it might continue to happen. I also clean cages daily. It can really get difficult if I let it go.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I gave up my female caique (and her bonded male) when she became so hormonal that I was afraid of her. It broke my heart and I will always wonder if I gave up too soon. And truth be told at times I had too many birds. It can become an addiction and I would be more choosy when adding to the flock if I could get a do-over.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I'm pretty artsy so I draw, sew and create things often. I'm also a grandmother of 5 lovely girls and I help my daughter home school.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thanks for picking me as Mayor of the Avenue! I'm honored!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
This was really fun to read. I respect what you shared about lessons learned. As a homeschooling mom of 2, I also really admire that you help your daughter homeschool.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:congrats5:
I enjoyed reading your interrview. And I too, am waiting for a moluccan. I will always regret rehoming my last one before my move overseas.
Gigi looks well loved and totally adorable :)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was really fun to read. I respect what you shared about lessons learned. As a homeschooling mom of 2, I also really admire that you help your daughter homeschool.
Thanks! Good for you! We are on our 10th year of helping with homeschool! It has been a joy! I've read all the classics along with my grandchildren. Right now my husband is writing his 23/24 Economics curriculum.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Congratulations Dona! Great interview. I knew a Mynah when I was a child also (two, as a matter of fact). Quite impressive birds. You make a great Mayor! :congrats5:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks so much friends! I've really enjoyed being a member here. Although I am a long time bird owner I have continued to learn so much from all of you!

:grouphug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez