• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Audible Planning

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is going to seem like an impossibility, but I am going to ask these questions anyways.

1. Has anyone ever made a very strong attempt to control the audible environment around their new developing bird in an attempt to train only very specific phrases, whistles, clicks, etc. and has anyone been successful?

2. Has anyone ever planned ahead and modified their own audible behavior before bringing a fid home?

3. How quickly does the average bird pickup sounds, whistles, phrases, etc. from various sources like the TV, microwave, phones, etc.

4. On average, how long do they recall those sounds? Do they favor some more than others resulting in some sounds eventually dying off, or do they remember them for life?

Obviously it is impossible to control your entire environment. Please don't misunderstand. This is partly a hypothetical question, although, I will be making an attempt at modifying some of my own behaviors prior to bringing the fid home. (Speaking softly, maybe turning off microwave sounds, using a strict vocabulary when talking with fid, etc.)

I'm not trying to silence the bird in an attempt to make my life easier, just curious if I could be successful teaching more desirable sounds. Seems like something that if you approach right from the start with a plan, you may be able to produce some positive results in later years.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just talk to my birds the same way I would be talking to anyone. Have never changed the sounds in the house or the way I talk. As for picking up sounds/phrases it really depends on the bird. One of my red-bellied parrots, Sophie, starting talking when she was 10 weeks old and her sister started talking shortly thereafter.
As for how long they recall sounds/phrases, depends on them. Somethings just fade and some go on forever. For example, some of my birds still call my dog, "Hollie" even though she has been gone several years.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Any other thoughts out there on this subject?