• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attitude from hormones?

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hey hey! So recently, I'd say the last month or two especially, I've found Kiwi to be rather cranky? She attacks other animals, other people, and me. She's usually pretty happy to have people in my room that she knows and when I'm in there doing Uni work but lately it's hard to get anything done in there because she goes after everything. My computer, my phone, my hands (etc).

I did some googling and I did read that usually around 3-4yrs parrots get hormonal which can affect their behaviour, and since Kiwi is 3 this year I'm wondering if all of this is common? At first I just thought it was because I've gotten busy with work and school that I'm not in there as much, but I don't think that's all it is?

Thanks! :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Probably hormones!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could very well be hormonal, increasing sleep time ( total darkness ) and stopping feeding and warm and or mushy foods may help improve things.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
I
Could very well be hormonal, increasing sleep time ( total darkness ) and stopping feeding and warm and or mushy foods may help improve things.
Interesting! Luckily right now is fall so we'll be getting our "dark by 5pm until 7:30am" hours which will help! I'll definitely remember the food tip though, thank you!

Trent84

Strolling the yard
My mum's GCC is a rescue and was abandoned because of his hormonal behavior, we think.
When he first came home, he was severely plucked, self-mutilated, and very very bitey (he drew blood) but he improved during the winter season when all his feathers came back to normal.
This summer he started again with plucking, but no self-mutilating so far. He's still cranky at times, but not so bitey anymore. Some days are fine, some others are a little off. Training helps a lot with keeping him entertained.
Be patient and tell her you love her, let her sleep longer in a dark (and quiet!) room and this will pass soon :heart:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Larger parrot species take longer to mature,so puberty and that intense first hormone surge are later .
GCC can start being reproductive at six months and I think thats more the puberty range.
But each hormone season can vary in intensity .

I think being busy and everything school might really be more of what's going on. My GCC is very sensitive to reduced time/attention or changes in routine , together. And definitely acts out. Having a routine and a kind of set one on one time is very helpful with this.

Getting her foraging would be great. @Wardy does fantastic little baskets for his

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Foraging will reduce a cheekies energy levels.
20230919_181417.jpg 20230919_181447.jpg
Don't feed chop either Not Chop is IMO. One of the biggest benefits for my two they both work for their favourite foods.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Don’t tell me I have this to look forward too :(

I have enough with pico humping my bun if I forget to take it out he’s straight on it even a ponytail gets him going now

and miss bitey

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
My mbc attacks anyone who comes into "his" house who isn't me, so I don't think aggression is all that uncommon with small conures. I'm hoping in mine's case it's because he's around puberty age (he's about a year and a half old, I think), but I'm not sure; it could just be how he is or maybe he needs extra sleep to keep hormones at bay... He doesnt show any obvious sexual behaviors though, which makes me question whether it's hormones or just the fact that I havent been able to socialize him well enough (living alone).

He's only bitey toward me when I do something he doesn't like, but when my mom visits I have to keep the two of them separate or he flies straight for her face and attacks. He also still bites toward my quaker when one comes close to the other's cage (I don't let them out together), even if quaker is acting perfectly calm.

Hope you find a solution though!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don’t tell me I have this to look forward too :(
Mojo has showed hormonal behaviour a good few times KiKi never has.
Increased sleep has a massive impact on reducing aggression my two get 12/13 hours darkness all the time have increased to 15 when Mojo is on one it helps so much.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
He’s
Mojo has showed hormonal behaviour a good few times KiKi never has.
Increased sleep has a massive impact on reducing aggression my two get 12/13 hours darkness all the time have increased to 15 when Mojo is on one it helps so much.
only about 4months so will see o_O he’s as just started regurgitating or doing the head bob action

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to know he is fetching food up though with it ?
Thats not happy then :laughing6: only time i have seen them bring up food is when they allofeed

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thats not happy then :laughing6: only time i have seen them bring up food is when they allofeed
Like he’s trying to feed my fingers only done it a few times when I wiggled my finger to get him to wave

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like he’s trying to feed my fingers only done it a few times when I wiggled my finger to get him to wave
Don't wiggle your finger lol

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
My Duckie is 16 years old and it seems he’s having a particularly difficult hormone surge at the moment. Screaming more than usual, super cranky and bitey, and acting super aggressive/posturing to my partner. One interesting thing is that he’s been almost regurgitating - regurgitating without producing anything - to everything lately. Me of course, but also one of his toys, a makeup brush, and yesterday to a bag of sourdough bread! Poor fellow.
This thread is a good reminder to me. I need a heavier sleep blanket than I’ve been using so he can get that total darkness. I have been putting him to bed about 7:30pm lately, and he’s up around 7:30am.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My Duckie is 16 years old and it seems he’s having a particularly difficult hormone surge at the moment. Screaming more than usual, super cranky and bitey, and acting super aggressive/posturing to my partner. One interesting thing is that he’s been almost regurgitating - regurgitating without producing anything - to everything lately. Me of course, but also one of his toys, a makeup brush, and yesterday to a bag of sourdough bread! Poor fellow.
This thread is a good reminder to me. I need a heavier sleep blanket than I’ve been using so he can get that total darkness. I have been putting him to bed about 7:30pm lately, and he’s up around 7:30am.
I'm definitely seeing more in Ta-dah plus ten years than I think ever before in her life with me , cage protective, cavity seeking, a little fussy