• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attica Zoological Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konstantinos

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Κωνσταντίνος-Konstantinos
A little history from park site.
Photos taken by me.Enjoy.
The Attica Zoological Park opened in May 2000, initially as a Bird Park, hosting the 3rd largest bird collection in the world(1100 birds from 300 different species), farm animals for the younger visitors and three very impressive walk-in aviaries with birds from the three continents of Asia, Africa and America. In April 2001, we opened a new section, the “World of Reptiles” with Pythons, Boas, Crocodiles and other reptiles and in July 2002 the “Greek Fauna” section was inaugurated withWolves, Brown Bears, Foxes, Wild Cats, Lynxes etc. In February 2003 we added a major extension, the “African Savannah” (Giraffes, Zebra, Antelopes etc) as well as Lamas, Jaguars, Snow Leopards, the very rare White Lions and other beautiful mammals.

At the end of June 2003, another extension was added to our Park, where the visitors have the opportunity to observe the closest relative to man, the Monkeys and Apes. In December 2004 the section with the wild cats was extended with Tigers, Servals and Ocelots, a big area was added to the African Savannah and a new extension opened with Pygmy Hippos, Prairie dogs, African wild dogs and Alligators. In the beginning of 2005, the “Monkey Forest” opened to the public, where visitors are able to be in the same enclosure with the monkeys. The latest extension of the zoo is the “Cheetah Land”, where four cheetahs are kept in a 4000m² enclosure and the visitors can walk through the enclosure, in a special tunnel with very close views of the cheetahs.

Park offers recreational as well as educational experiences. We believe that creating awareness is very important for the protection of wild life and the environment in general and accordingly we offer educational programs as well as guided tours for school children.

The Park is a recognized member of EAZA (European Association of Zoos and Aquaria) and as such we apply all standards required by the Association (animal husbandry, animal welfare, education of visitors, etc). Within the EAZA framework we participate in nine European Endangered Species Programs (EEP’s) and 18 European Studbook Programs (ESB’s) with a view to develop captive breeding of threatened species. Since early 2004 all our animals are registered and followed through ISIS (International Species Information System) and ARKS (Animal Record Keeping System) and as such we have also access to an international inter-zoo database for all the species we keep and as well as others we eventually intend to keep.

For visitors, zoos are a place for entertainment and relaxation. For us it is also a place of education and species conservation.
The massive growth of the world’s human population has caused a very serious crisis for the natural resources, the environment and all the wild species of plants and animals which depend on it for their survival. Many species are in threat of extinction because their habitat have already been degraded or destroyed. For some of these species their only hope of survival is human care in zoological parks and captive breeding centers.
Zoos worldwide are visited by over 700 million people each year, and their potential for making people of all ages aware of the threat to the global ecology is unlimited.

Attachments

Konstantinos

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow what great pictures!! They have some awesome birds!!!

Konstantinos

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name

Konstantinos

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name

Konstantinos

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What great photos! I love hornbills. I had two I worked with at the zoo here. The male use to bite my boot all the time! The touracos are just gorgeous and I am a hug fan of birds of prey. What a beautiful zoo! It really has great habitats. My husband use to live in Greece and visited the zoo when it was just birds.

Konstantinos

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Thanks everyone.
Judy I have never been there when has only birds.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I am glad to see Dewey's Greek Cousins again! :D

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Wow! Those are amazing photos! I would love to go there someday! Thanks for posting these!

Status
Not open for further replies.