• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attachment to Mirror?

lorarazor

Moving in
Real Name
Loresa
Hello!

I'm a little concerned about my budgie recently. He's been attached to his mirror for a while (it's hard to get him to come out of his cage.)

Recently, he started biting when I try to take him out. Not hard, but just kind of saying "back off".

I'm fairly convinced that he thinks his reflection is his mate, and i think it's causing him frustration too.

What is the best thing to do? I feel like taking the mirror out may be too much too soon.

Thanks!

Reactions: Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would remove the mirror, mirrors can work for some birds, but for other birds (your budgie, my budgie Kiwi) it causes territorial and agressive behavior.

lorarazor

Moving in
Real Name
Loresa
I would remove the mirror, mirrors can work for some birds, but for other birds (your budgie, my budgie Kiwi) it causes territorial and agressive behavior.
Thanks for the reply! I'm all down for removing it, but will taking it out cause him to feel like he lost a friend?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If you post a photo of his cage, we can give suggestions to make it an engaging place for him. I suggest shedding toys, my budgies really like the little rattan stars and balls.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have never had issues arise with mirrors for my budgies. Perhaps because I never had a lone budgie. They are one hundred percent a flock bird so they do best with a friend. Keep the mirror and get a buddy for your bird.

Reactions: Ali