• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Atlanta or Tennessee bird fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I am planning on going to just one bird fair this year, to purchase things for my birds, which would you think is bigger? There is one that I know of in Nashville Tennessee, and one in Atlanta.

I'm talking bigger as in best selection of toys, etc. And cheapest prices. Atlanta is 4 hours from me, Nashville is 2 hours.

And after reading about the PDD scare of course everything will be throughly disinfected so what would I wash the toys in?
Vinegar? Do they need bleach? I would hate to wash them in bleach. I can wash in boiling water would that help? I usually use a white vinigar, hot water, and dawn mixture.

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
Having lived in both places (just moved from Nashville to Atlanta) and been to both... Nashville is MUCH MUCH MUCH better. Sooooooo much better. I was very disappointed with the ones here in Atlanta. The one in Nashville is HUGE compared to

Nashville has a lot of vendors come. Has a huge variety, and its cheaper to get into (I think its about $4 or so). Parking is free and its overall a great experience in Nashville.

As for disinfecting, a lot of people freeze the toys :) I freeze and clean them with vinegar, but thats me.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Wow I actually suspected Atlanta's to be bigger!
I am glad I didn't waste the gas and money in that case

I just saw the thread about disinfecting in the dishwasher and I think I will do that. I freeze their food but I don't know how long freezing would have to occur for toys.:confused:
Seems quicker to throw them in the dishwasher I am impatient and always want to give new things LOL

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Jessica, will you post the dates for the Nashville one please? I've gone to one of the one's in Atlanta every year and would like to check out Nashville this year. I'm reverse :) Atlanta - two hours, Nashville 4!

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I went to the one in Nashville, and wasn't all that impressed by the toys for sale there. Personally, there are so many great places to order things online at low prices, and with the PDD scare, I plan on refraining from any more fairs. I only bought one toy there that I had never seen before. I did bring a cage home, and thought it was a good deal, especially because it was already put together, but the toys..eh. Just my two cents.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
While this may be true, Atlanta virtually had nothing. I was shocked. I literally walked in, walked around for about 20 minutes, made my purchase and left. The Nashville one... I could be in there for hours. Some of the prices are not so wonderful, but you get that everywhere. Of the two Nashville was my favorite for sure :)
I went to the one in Nashville, and wasn't all that impressed by the toys for sale there. Personally, there are so many great places to order things online at low prices, and with the PDD scare, I plan on refraining from any more fairs. I only bought one toy there that I had never seen before. I did bring a cage home, and thought it was a good deal, especially because it was already put together, but the toys..eh. Just my two cents.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Thats strange Janet I went to the same fair as you and thought there were a ton of good toys there!:huh:

I live in Madison AL btw

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Thats strange Janet I went to the same fair as you and thought there were a ton of good toys there!:huh:

I live in Madison AL btw
I guess it depends on what you're looking for...we have different size birds. I was looking for puzzle toys and something other than the standard wood toys, etc. I did find some cool tshirts, though.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
As for disinfecting, a lot of people freeze the toys :) I freeze and clean them with vinegar, but thats me.
freezing does not kill bacteria:)

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
freezing does not kill bacteria:)
Well I didn't figure how, but I read somewhere on here that someone froze their toys and I was like "well ok". I have always just used vinegar myself :)
Thanks for clearing that up Saroj, now that I have completely humiliated myself :rolleyes: :hehe:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well I didn't figure how, but I read somewhere on here that someone froze their toys and I was like "well ok". I have always just used vinegar myself :)
Thanks for clearing that up Saroj, now that I have completely humiliated myself :rolleyes: :hehe:
aww, I'm sorry Houston
:hug8::heart:
that's what I thought too, but then asked my vet I think and she told me noooo, bake it, don't freeze it :hehe:

Last edited:

southernbirds

Freezing will kill the live bugs if there are any.Heat kills the germs. We live and learn.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Buy some GSE and mix it up in a spray bottle. GSE is just like bleach but natural. The stuff is expensive to buy BUT it last so long. I bought a bottle 4 yrs ago and still have it. We put 2 drops in his water daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.