• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

At the emergency clinic last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Looking way better. Poor baby . I know what it is like when our babies are ill and we worry like crazy.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
shes looking better! mango had scratched his eyelid (he took a tiny tear out if it, likely scratching his head) and he had swelled up. we used saline and it cleared up in a matter of 2-3 days.

this was day one

and this was day 2

it does worry you and its good to worry :) glad she is looking better! is it possible her buddy may have preened her eye a little too much, or maybe had something on his beak when he preened around her eye (food, debris, etc)?

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Just wanted to give a final update on Skittles!

She has 110% fully healed up! there's no more swelling or redness with her eye.

I did notice a bit of a red puffy mark in the corner of her eye, but when I checked over the last few days, it was diminishing, with it being fully gone this morning.

<3

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so very glad that things have improved!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Very good news!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just wanted to give a final update on Skittles!

She has 110% fully healed up! there's no more swelling or redness with her eye.

I did notice a bit of a red puffy mark in the corner of her eye, but when I checked over the last few days, it was diminishing, with it being fully gone this morning.

<3
That is great! Glad she's doing good!!

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Well her eye is better, but yesterday while at work she went on a plucking bout and was just COVERED in blood :(

The ONLY thing I have changed in her routine/toys is give her a foraging box which she decided to nest in. I took it away from her as she was up at 5am the other morning chirping up a storm, hanging upside down in the cage trying to get to it.

I did not give it back to her and the next day she snipped her neck feathers.

I wonder if this is related to frustrations? She's had multitudes of tests done for any bacterial infections n'such.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sounds to me the box with the toys triggered her hormones and she is looking for a nest box. We can never know what is going to trigger their instinctive behaviors. I once took a new toy into the birdroom still inside its shipping box. Once I took the toy out of the box, the box had a four inch opening in one side. Sunshine Senegal figured the box with the opening was a nest box and went into nesting mode. It was the first time in years he had bit me, but she really nailed me when I removed her from the box and the box from the birdroom. She looked for that box for two or three days and tried to nest in every crevice and dark area in the room; and in everyone else's cage, as well. She was a fiend for about a week till it finally wore off. I was lucky she didn't start plucking but she did overgroom for the entire week.

Status
Not open for further replies.