• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are the parents feeding there babies properly?

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Hiya. I have 2 aviary, hand raised rainbow lorikeets who currently have 2 fledgling age chick's (approx 7 weeks old). I'm very concerned that the parents are not feeding the bubs properly, but not 100%.

They are still very protective of the nest box but don't seem very interested in the chick's otherwise. Both of the fledglings are very skinny (cut yourself on their keel bones skinny) so I'm pretty sure they're not feeding them, or at least not often. Observing them, they hardly seem to go in the box at all. :(

This is their first time breeding and mine as well (didn't realise they had laid eggs until it was too late), so wouldn't be surprised if they are having problems. My question; should I remove the babies or leave them?

Both should have probably left the nest box by now, so maybe their trying to encourage them to leave the box by not feeding as much?? Seems a bit odd that they'd raise them to fledgling stage then lose interest..

Any advice would be very much appreciated, as I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is. Thank you

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Personally, I’d pull them. If they’re so skinny they’re clearly starving and they’re not yet able to feed themselves, I’d take over now before they starve to death.

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Yeah, I think that's probably the right thing to do. Problem is that I haven't been handling the babies, so the poor little things are shizz scared of me. I didn't want to interefe too much in case it caused issues, but wish I had now as it will be rough on the bubs when I pull them. :(

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
They may be scared, but they’ll survive. I hope they warm up to you though, being the one who feeds them should help! :)

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Ordinarily it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm a single mum to a 15 month old atm so a bit worried I won't be able to give them the attention they'll need... Another reason I was a bit hesitant to pull them. Will have to make it work though. Cheers for the advice :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Absolutely! I can’t blame you there, luckily at 7 weeks they are a lot less demanding than younger chicks. I hope it’s not too crazy for you to balance with your sweet baby ❤

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Thank you for the support and kind words Beasley, much appreciated :) Hopefully you're right and we will find a nice balance for everyone. ❤❤

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Thought about box feeding but they're just too scared of me and fully bonded to mum and dad. Will make sure to take it slow till they've adjusted though . :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thought about box feeding but they're just too scared of me and fully bonded to mum and dad. Will make sure to take it slow till they've adjusted though . :)
They'll calm down once they realize you have food. :) Better take them than risk them starving to death.