• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are oat groats healthy for budgies?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
One of my budgies, Winston, absolutely LOVES oat groats. I got him a pack of oat groats that I put in one of the bowls in his cage. He eats them all the time and I wanted to make sure that I can leave the oat groats in his cage. So are they healthy for him or should I take them out of his cage?
94261_OatGroats_11oz.jpg
I got him something like this but it is solely oat groats and nothing else. Not dyed either.
oatgroats_1_of_1_grande.jpg

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
ive never heard of them! how many budgies do you have? do all of them eat the oat groats and enjoy them?
Yep both my budgie boys love oat groats! You should try giving them to yours too :laugh:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Oat groats are definitely healthy for your bird. They have lots of vitamins and nutrients in them and also contain irons and fiber. As with anything you offer your bird, offer it in moderation. As healthy as oat groats are you want your bird to eat other things like vegetables and pellets. Oats can make wonderful additions to chop though! I'll tag some people who might have more info: @Mizzely , @Zara , @Kassiani .

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As others have said, oat groats are fine :) I don't just feed oat groats exclusively, though. I use them as part of the dry seed/grain mix I make for my budgies. It also includes rolled oats, millet, quinoa, hemp hearts, brown flax, canola seed, and chia seed. The boys will, of course, pick the millet and oat groats out first, lol!

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Thanks for all the responses! I'm glad I can keep them in his cage because he loves them so much! He has two bowls in his cage, one with his normal seed mix and one with just the oat groats. He also does eat vegetables every day. My other budgie likes oat groats but not as much as Winston. Oliver is much less picky than Winston and Oliver's bowls have nutriberries and pellets.
Winston will only eat the unhealthy seed mix! It's quite annoying and stressful because if I get him the wrong seed mix he literally won't eat it at all!