• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are droppings colored from fruity pellets?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have always wondered if my budgies are sidestepping their pellets and just eating the seed they are mixed with... can anyone say if the Zupreem fruity pellets will dye their FIDS droppings? Sure seems like they would, since they do contain dye. My budgies droppings are always just black and white, except when they've eaten spinach, then there are a few green droppings.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do not know about the Zupreem pellets or budgies but Burt does some lovely strange colored droppings when he gets the colored pellets. I do not give them to him everyday as he prefers them over his better brand pellets and I don't like the added vitamins they have in them so I am wanting to faze them out of his diet. The days he has the pellets make for some variations in poop color for sure. He has the Vetafarm and Pretty Bird ones. I was told by the breeder that the color change is only from the dye in the pellets.
Hope this helps :)

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
When I fed ZuPreem FruitBlend as the main pellet, I noticed their droppings became colored and turned out looking red, green, and yellow. It can for sure color them. I switched to ZuPreem Natural because of that and because of the fact that the FruitBlend has more sugar. They’re still given the FruitBlend, but this is put in their foraging toys for a yummy treat. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Yup sure can

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes they absolutely CAN. However, if the pellets are a lower percentage of their diet, it may not be as noticeable.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thanks everyone! I can only assume now that the little F&F rascals are not touching those beautifully colored fruity pieces that I am so carefully supplying them! :-O I feel as if I'm a toddler parent trying to sneak healthy food anywhere I can get it in .... sigh.
I've wondered how long the pellets should stay in their food cups - I blow out the seed hulls, but since the pellets are so much heavier, they sit there. I guess I just dump the entire cup about once a week, but sure seems wasteful!