• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are calphalon pots/pans safe???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone!! I have another new bird owner question. I know teflon is a bird killer and got rid of all my teflon pans when Cody (my cockatiel) came to live with me but I'm not sure what, if any safe alternatives there are. I currently use stainless steel for everything but there are certain dishes that just don't come out right. It doesn't help that I'm a horrible cook. Anyway, I've been looking online and some sites recommend calphalon as bird safe cookware but other sites say calphalon (annodized aluminum) is harmful. Does anyone know the correct answer...or any other safe alternatives? Thanks so much:)

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Stick with either Stainless steel or you can do a cast iron pan. The cast iron pans can be seasoned and become very non-stick the more you use them. If the calphalon pan claims to be non-stick in any way then it uses teflon.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I had calphalon pans and switched to Stainless steel when we got birds. I would not use them.

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
Thanks so much for all of the info. I just googled cast iron pans and I think I'm going to give them a try. I will definitely stay away from the calphalon. I'm so glad I discovered Avian Avenue a few months ago. It has definitely become a great resource for me. Thanks again:)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
cuisinart green pans are good, lala!

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
You just have to use lower heat on SS pans than you would non-stick. It takes getting used to, but when you do, you'll like it better. Make sure you coat the pan with enough oil. Also, let's say you're cooking fish- once you place it in the hot pan, you can't move it for a few minutes like you could if it were cooking in a non-stick pan. You have to let it develop a crust or it will break off and stick to the pan.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
cuisinart green pans are good, lala!
Are the bottoms thick and flat? I have a ceramic cooktop, and am looking for a good fry/saute pan.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Are the bottoms thick and flat? I have a ceramic cooktop, and am looking for a good fry/saute pan.
yes Carole :)
If you have a bedbathbeyond in your area they carry them instore...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

yes Carole :)
If you have a bedbathbeyond in your area they carry them instore...
Very good, we have many in the area. Thank you.:highfive:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
These are what I have from Cuisinart's Green Gourmet line .. I can't say enough good things about them .. can't go wrong with Cuisinart's quality, and they're free PTFE and PFOA.

I also have some SS, Cast Iron and Le Creuset pieces. Got rid of all teflon in the house, with one exception .. a huge dual burner grill pan. I haven't been able to find a replacement in Green Pans yet, but I rarely use it, and when I do .. I'm extremely careful.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart GreenGourmet Hard Anodized Eco-Friendly Non Stick 5.5 Quart Saute Pan with Helper Handle and Cover: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: Cuisinart GreenGourmet Eco-Friendly 11-Inch Square Grill Pan: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: Cuisinart GreenGourmet Eco-Friendly Nonstick Hard Anodized 12-Piece Cookware Set: Home & Garden

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
So you guys are 100% sure they are bird safe? If so I may need to try that grill pan!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
In my mind .. nothing is "100% Bird Safe" .. the safest thing for a bird could still hurt it in weird circumstances.

I've been using my Green Pans for over a year .. no problems .. everybirdie is still alive and well.

I couldn't live without that grill pan! I love Panini sandwiches .. lol!!!!

So you guys are 100% sure they are bird safe? If so I may need to try that grill pan!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
In my mind .. nothing is "100% Bird Safe" .. the safest thing for a bird could still hurt it in weird circumstances.

I've been using my Green Pans for over a year .. no problems .. everybirdie is still alive and well.

I couldn't live without that grill pan! I love Panini sandwiches .. lol!!!!
I agree...we can overheat things and burn them with smoke in any type of pan...

Oh Panini sandwhiches sound awesome...must order a grill!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep .. I couldn't resist that price for Cuisinart .. esp. being "bird safe" cookware.

I'm extremely please with them .. very heavy, excellent design and quality, well worth the price.

WOW!:shocked2: $189 for the 12-piece set is an awesome price!

laladiaz

Strolling the yard
I just ordered the Cuisinart Green 4 qt. dutch oven from Amazon!!! I was going to try and keep an eye on HSN over the next few days but I decided I couldn't wait. Thanks again everyone for all of the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.