• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Caiques really that nippy of a bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Today while at the bird store I held a young black headed Caique which was just cute until it was time to get it to go back into it's open topped glass"box". Which then it was running around the edge of it and wouldn't step up. But then when it got on a cage next to it and was looking over towards where one of the resident amazons was on his cage(it was well out of reach but wasn't positive on how well they caique could fly with it's clipped wings) I figured I'd better grab her to make sure she didn't get over there. Well the little bugger bit first the end of my finger and then a knuckle on my other hand. She actually drew blood but really it wasn't that bad. Pretty has given me alot more pressure in the 2 bites I've gotten from her then what the Caique did. Well I'm kinda friends with the owner from going in there so much and I told her about it laughing and she said that Caiques are bad about biting. I said really there's alot on my forum and I've never really heard about them biting. And she asked how old they were and I said there was a wide age range. But yeah she says that when they hit their hormonal stage they are bad about biting and taking chunks out of fingers.
So figured I'd ask all of you how bad they really are.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I've heard of biters, but Koko isn't thank goodness and all the babies I've ever played with in stores never bit but they do gnaw on your fingers forever :rofl:

TITANIS

I've seen a lot caiques in person (both species but young) and heard/viewed tons of stories on the web. It is my conclusion they are about average in the biting department - for a mid-sized parrot, but I'm no caique expert. If you compare similar sized birds (Pois, Pionus, HH, quakers, conures, small 'zons, etc.) I wouldn't say they are more beaky. Compared to 'tiels, budgies and lovies, probably yes. It depends on the individual as much as the species. :)

Last edited:

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
:omg: These guys were SUPER nippy! :eek: But they never drew blood and seemed really good with new and unfamiliar people and looked liked they LOVE life! I want them :D
100_3357.jpg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
But A.J. nippy to me means biting because they really want to bite you. Beakiness like Caiques is totally normal and it shouldn't break skin. They love to chew on your fingers and you just have to build up a thick skin bwahahahaha :rofl:

TITANIS

But A.J. nippy to me means biting because they really want to bite you. Beakiness like Caiques is totally normal and it shouldn't break skin. They love to chew on your fingers and you just have to build up a thick skin bwahahahaha :rofl:
Speaking of skin, some people are just more sensitive than others. I have thick skin naturally, and even a bite from a Cape although not by any means comfortable didn't feel all that bad. Mind you, I'm pretty sure if she wanted to she could have done much worse. A bite is a bite and seldom enjoyable but I know what you mean about building up resistance. It's as much physical as it is psychological. Not by any means saying one should stick their fingers inside an angry Hy's mouth to become accustomed to bites. :D

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Speaking of skin, some people are just more sensitive than others. I have thick skin naturally, and even a bite from a Cape although not by any means comfortable didn't feel all that bad. Mind you, I'm pretty sure if she wanted to she could have done much worse. A bite is a bite and seldom enjoyable but I know what you mean about building up resistance. It's as much physical as it is psychological. Not by any means saying one should stick their fingers inside an angry Hy's mouth to become accustomed to bites. :D
and certain spots are more sensitive and of course birds seem to know where those spots are :hehe::hehe::hehe:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

:eek: finally someone understands!

:lol:
Are you saying Apple goes after your weak spots? :eek:
Does Peanut bite? I hear cockatiel bites aren't fun because of the shape of their bottom beak :D

hsmoscout

Are you saying Apple goes after your weak spots? :eek:
Does Peanut bite? I hear cockatiel bites aren't fun because of the shape of their bottom beak :D

Apple goes after loose skin like on your knuckles and tries to rip it off! :eek:
But I'm starting to go OT again...back to caiques :D

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
My caique bit like a pitbull. My avian vet says that caique bites are worse than amazon bites in his opinion. My caique in one moment bit me at least 10 times on my hand and up my arm. I was trying to remove her and she would rip,tear,run. OMG. I was totally terrified of her after that.

Like I have told the story before. My caique (who I hand raised) decided one day that I needed to die. It was her mission to rid the world of me. That little thing went to the effort of climbing an entire flight of stairs and finding me in my room on several occasions to attack me.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks. Yes it chewed on my finger even before I got her out, which was nothing becasue I remembered hearing that they like to do that. And when I had her out she was getting alittle ruff playing with my earring so I just put my hand up there and covered it up which she didn't complain about one bit she went on to playing with my hair.:D She just doesn't like to go back in her box. But then can you really blame her?
So all in all they aren't more prone to drawing blood then any of the other birds.
I also remembered how a tiel can take a chunk out of your finger as well.

My caique bit like a pitbull. My avian vet says that caique bites are worse than amazon bites in his opinion. My caique in one moment bit me at least 10 times on my hand and up my arm. I was trying to remove her and she would rip,tear,run. OMG. I was totally terrified of her after that.

Like I have told the story before. My caique (who I hand raised) decided one day that I needed to die. It was her mission to rid the world of me. That little thing went to the effort of climbing an entire flight of stairs and finding me in my room on several occasions to attack me.
:omg: But that can probably happen with any breed of bird couldn't it?

It's just one of the species that hold my interest and before it can even be on my dream list I like to know these little things about them. Not to mention it's already one of my hubby's dream birds. And when I say dream I mean like 20 years out.:D

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
My WBC Augie is still a baby & not really a biter... a little beaky... My hahns on the other hand makes me cry! Aubrey's beak is razor sharp & he twists the skin as he bites. He bites because he can not because you're doing something wrong. The other night he was on my shoulder and he just leaned in and grabbed a hold of my cheek. I think he was mad because my shirt was covering my bra strap, his favorite thing to chew on. :rolleyes:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela

and certain spots are more sensitive and of course birds seem to know where those spots are :hehe::hehe::hehe:
No kidding. :o: When Joey, my sennie, bites he always aims for the webbing between my thumb and finger.

To the OP, When young birds like that bite hard enough to draw blood I often think that possibly it is because the bird was very beaky as a baby and no one ever guided the bird on how hard is too hard with beak on skin. As they get older and gain more strength and dexterity they don't realize that what they are doing hurts. My mealy amazon was like that, I got him at eight months old and he was beaky to the point where I walked around with large black and blue marks on my hands and arms while we worked on his behavior.

My caique has not even been here a day and I have noticed that he is very beaky, and I just redirect his behavior when he does it too hard (like this morning when he decided that he didn't like the placement of my fingernails and were determined to get them off. :rolleyes:). Caiques seem to be like lories in that they have to taste/ test everything with their beaks. To me, a bite isn't a bite until there is blood involved, my lory is known for "pinching" my skin in his mouth- some people consider that nippiness.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

To the OP, When young birds like that bite hard enough to draw blood I often think that possibly it is because the bird was very beaky as a baby and no one ever guided the bird on how hard is too hard with beak on skin. As they get older and gain more strength and dexterity they don't realize that what they are doing hurts. My mealy amazon was like that, I got him at eight months old and he was beaky to the point where I walked around with large black and blue marks on my hands and arms while we worked on his behavior.

I think the only reason it bled was because it was the back of my knuckle and how she got it tore the skin just a bit. She's still just a young one not exactly sure on her age, but I know she bit becasue she didn't want to go back in her box. The owner of the store says she's a real stinker when she gets down on the floor.
But yes I'm sure she has not had much guidance so far with being in the store. The only people I've seen handling her are costumers.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my two are from ShadyPines Aviary and Gloria takes great care with their socialization. Mine were not nippy at all when they arrived, and are not nippy now.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Caiques are high-energy birds and they can be little bullies if you don't watch out. Personally, I think Caiques benefit greatly from being kept fully-flighted and allowed the space to use those wings as the physical exertion seems to diminish aggression. I say "diminish" not "extinguish". I think they, like any parrot, need to be properly socialized as youngsters so that they grow up to understand what behavior is tolerable and which is not. I luv 'em anyway though and find them some of the most entertaining and playful parrots one can keep.

Piercesdesigns, I had a good laugh at your post. I laughed at your story because I've been in your shoes before and know too well what it is like to have a Caique on a "mission to kill". The good news is we both survived to tell the tale! LOL

Note: IME, BHCs are a bit more nippy than WBCs - as a general rule.

Last edited:

luvconique

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jeni
I agree with the beakiness. When it's not too hard, it actually feels kind of cool, cuz you get to feel the whole ridged inside of the beak.

BUT! When a caique decides to really bite...:omg:
You'd better have something to hold on to.

They gggrrind down, point of top beak and front of bottom beak can pierce the skin- then they shake their little heads like a pitbull. :eek:

Yeah- seriously. Ask my thumb!

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
I have a friend who has a caique that does bite pretty hard when he upset with her.

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
yeah, they're nippy! though i've had a budgie bite that was pretty darn painful too. like being pinched by needlenose pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.