• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Caiques commonly aggressive?

IanJ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ian
Hi everyone.

I’ve been seriously considering getting a Caique, but I’m a bit worried about the amount of posts I’ve seen in this forum about Caiques randomly turning aggressive.

I wondered if folk in the forum might like to share if this is a thing and to be expected….

Or, whether the majority of people have good ongoing relationships with their caiques?

I realise every bird is unique and there are no guarantees, but if it were literally 50/50, then that might be too much of a risk.

If it’s the exception rather than the rule, then its more likely to be worth the punt!

Thanks for any advice!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Trishc

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tricia
I've had my caique, Lexi, for 16 years. He has what I refer to as "seasons" of aggression. It didn't start until he was about 7 years old. It usually starts slowly in late fall and continues through winter. The behavior consists of quick strikes that can draw blood, pinned eyes, and straying from his normal routine. To get through this hormonal period the best way I've found is to increase his training routine (step up/step down, etc.), switch around the toys in his cage a lot, and show him Caique YouTube videos (very effective). At his very worst with the aggression, he once attacked my face and ear. Scared me to death so I took him to his Avian vet and he was given a Lupron implant and a prescription for nortriptyline.

Attachments

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I do not own a caique but heavily considered it last year and did a lot of research. They are known to be aggressive birds. Many people have said that their caiques have attacked and even injured or killed other birds, and even other caiques! Truly it does depend on the individual but for some reason this species just seems to have a tendency to become aggressive. The "Good Bad and Ugly" thread that was linked a few posts up is a very good resource to read about peoples' true experiences with them.

There is a member here who has them in an outside aviary, and from what I've seen of their posts, they seem to do exceptionally well in that environment. She has lots of photos of her setup but unfortunately the username has slipped my mind.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
@saroj12 has a mixed species flock, can you weigh in on your experience?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
This post is old I am sure the poster got a green cheek instead haven’t seen them for a while though

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 has a mixed species flock, can you weigh in on your experience?
Well I leave all but the caiques free all day. JoJo and Chickie are only free with them under supervision.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
YES