• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2011 Mayor of the Avenue........... Erica (prettyinpink)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Erica (prettyinpink) as April's "Mayor of the Avenue"

Please join me in welcoming her
:)

I loved reading your interview Erica and getting to know you a little better :heart:

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

Loofa - Will be two in August
Niko- 9 years old

2. What got you interested in birds?

Well I've always loved animals and have always liked 'exotic' animals. I can't remember how it started but I started watching youtube videos and fell in love, I never really paid attention to birds that much...I guess I didn't really think that you could own them, I thought they were more 'zoo' material (the 'big' ones). They did however always catch my eyes at the zoo, there was something about them...I guess I wouldn't know until later :p
My mom did have budgies and a love bird when I was little but I didn't think they were anything special, just something that went into a cage...that is until I researched more :)

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Happiness. It's so great to wake up to them greeting you, begging to come out to spend time with you and loving the food you make for them!

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I learned how important a good diet is for them which made me read ingredients lists more, not only on bird stuff but on people food! It's amazing how many things that are not only bad for birds but bad for us. I used to look at ingredients but not as much as now.

I'm also amazed at how fragile their little bodies are, it's amazing what we can handle but what they can't.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The day Loofa got his brace on...he started running, I put nothing past that little one now. He had never walked but some how wanted to run... and after he started walking he gained an appetite and started vocalizing. When he first started eating so much I thought something was wrong...was actually the opposite he was doing better! He didn't make a peep or eat anything the couple days before he got his brace. Now, if he were to not eat his food or make a peep...you'd know something major was wrong.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

My bedroom, it's pretty big. Loofa is by the window (on the left) and Niko has a cage placed on top of my desk on the right.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Of Course! There's so many things...I'll only list a couple.
Since getting Niko I stopped painting my nails because they don't like the colors.
With Loofa I can't just stay up and browse on my laptop, or stay up. He'll actually sit there and yell until I lay down on my bed...I can watch a movie, but I have to be in bed to do it :lol:

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Yes, I recently joined a parrot get together every month.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I'd love for them to have their own room, but I do enjoy sharing one (If it was smaller it would probably be different). I'd love to have a sun room, a room I could take them out in and have them fly freely but safely.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I don't really have a dream bird, I got a red-belly and I said I'd never get one :hehe: ...Niko decided to pick me. I would however love to have a grey, greys are amazing...and some day I hope that special grey will come, and I hope when that grey comes I'll be ready. I still miss Tia.. she'll always be my little angel.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds:

In the morning I uncover the birds, open Loofa's cage and let them out for a little bit. Then I go make my breakfast, theirs and head back upstairs. During the late afternoon I let them out again (if they haven't already been out all day) and hand out treats. When it's bedtime Loofa will crawl into his cage and give me the 'kisses' noise to let me know it's bed time (if I'm not paying attention to the time). I'll cover them both, say goodnight and head to bed. As soon as I lay down in bed I say goodnight sleep well, Loofa gives kisses and falls asleep...I'm hoping soon he'll say goodnight :p

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

That a good diet is VERY important. It's amazing what you can think of as a 'simple' thing can do to your birds. I've learned so much about their diets that it amazes me that even though a birdie on a bad diet may seem fine, internally they're not!

I've also learned how caring they can be. When I'm not feeling good, or in the mood they seem to know and will act completely different! Also when I show a birdie I'm scared will bite me he/she will not understand why I'm scared and get scared too, which will lead to biting! Their personalities are just amazing, I never would've thought a bird would be like this.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I'm not one to jump into animals without researching, I became a member on forums before I even got Loofa. But one thing I didn't know about was splayed legs... which is why Loofa ended up in my hands and I believed the breeder when she told me 'they don't know how to walk yet'. But if I did know, he may not be here with me today. I didn't know better because I didn't think someone would be so horrible to sell an animal to someone without the knowledge to care for it (I didn't know anything about splayed legs)... to just treat them like an item!
So, I wish I knew that not everyone cares about animals as much as we do...even if they tell you they do.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love taking pictures, cooking and graphic designing.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I just wanted to say thank you for choosing me to be a Mayor of the Avenue.
I love this board and it helped me a lot with Loofa, everyone is so supportive here and all around great! This is by far the best forum I've been on.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:dance4::cheer: :dance5::dance5:Erica!:heart::laughing12::laughing12:
Off to read the interview!:D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
yay congratulations I love you interview

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:dance5::dancing::heart: GREAT choice in Erica! Loved your interview also...Keep up the good work and learning....passing that along to others is so helpful!:hug8:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Congratulation Erica! What a great choice for Mayor!!!

I so enjoyed reading your interview and learning more about you and your wonderful birds. Thank you for being a wonderful asset to our neighborhood!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! You did a very nice interview!

Matt

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:cheer: :yah: Congratulations!!!

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Yay Erica!! :highfive:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats, Erica! What a great interview! :hug8:

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a wonderful choice...congratulations Erica...loved the interview!!!

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
:hug8: Congratulations Erica! :hug8:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Congrats. And great interview.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Awesome Erica, congrats, well deserved :highfive:

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Congratulations, it is great to get to know you!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.