• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apartment Pest Control

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
My new apartment complex does pest control every two months in all apartments, and we aren't allowed to opt out. I told them I have a bird and allergies and even suggested using a safer alternative myself, but they won't budge on the issue. I told them that means I might need to get a hotel room for my bird and I for a couple nights, and they couldn't care less. This Wednesday morning is the first time they're coming since I've been here.

I called the pest control company, and it looks like what they use is pyrethroid based, which should be pretty safe for anything that isnt a bug after it dries, based on what I've read. They recommend that babies and small children stay out of the apartment for 2 hours while it dries. With birds being extra sensitive to anything in the air, I'm not sure if that's enough time though. I've heard some people suggest keeping the bird away for 2 days.

They said that they won't spray in the bedroom, so I'm planning on moving the bird stuff in there and I'm considering finding a way to seal off the room.

Has anyone else had to deal with apartments that spray regularly for pests? How did you deal with it, and what happened?

The apartment managers tell me that they have another tenant with a parrot, and they don't have any issue with it. So I wonder if I'm maybe overreacting and he will be fine as long as he's in another room? I have considered sealing off the door to the bedroom and leaving the window in the living room open to help any fumes or aerosols dissipate.

Part of the problem is that I work 12 hr shifts the nights before and after, and they won't tell me what time they're coming. I usually get home at about 7:20am, and I'm worried there's a small chance they might come before then, so I will have to take him somewhere before I go to work for the night. Then I don't know how long it takes before it will be safe for him to come back, so I'll probably want to keep him out at least for the rest of the day and that night. My options are to either get a hotel room for us to stay in for at least 2 days or to bring him to my parents' house an hour away and commute an hour each way during that time. This is seriously stressing me out right now.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I completely understand your worries,we have a horrible ant problem in our apt and have for years. I've gotta get it sprayed every few months to have any kinda relief. I'm blessed that I work at a vet clinic so I can board there as long as needed. I always err on the side of caution and do 3 days or longer depending on how I feel at the time but I've been told by my vet 3 days mminimum or until you can't smell it anymore. I always block my door with a towel and write explicit instructions not to enter and everything has been fine.
Is boarding at your vet clinic possible?

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
I completely understand your worries,we have a horrible ant problem in our apt and have for years. I've gotta get it sprayed every few months to have any kinda relief. I'm blessed that I work at a vet clinic so I can board there as long as needed. I always err on the side of caution and do 3 days or longer depending on how I feel at the time but I've been told by my vet 3 days mminimum or until you can't smell it anymore. I always block my door with a towel and write explicit instructions not to enter and everything has been fine.
Is boarding at your vet clinic possible?
My vet is is even further away than my parents' house, so that's not a good option for me.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Darn I'm really sorry to hear that. It's definitely one of the most stressful parts of having parrots in Apts. If it makes you to nervous to keep him in the apt when the spraying happens which is totally understandable then maybe your parents house would be best? I know it's farther away but you have more knowledge and control of what's been used there. Ie if this hotel has sprayed or cleaned with anything toxic you may not know about before you take him there. Were as at your parents house you'd know exactly what has or hasn't been done.

Reactions: tka

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any friends nearby that could let him hang out in his carrier for the day? Also check with dog and cat vets, they still may offer boarding for birds. You could also ask any local pet shops if they have any leads.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
All the bug people we have used use the chemical mentioned and it's never made Dobby or Lurch before him sick. They were always careful to not directly spray them and no problems. You could always take him in a travel cage and take him to a friend's or keep him in your car or something till you feel it's safe.

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
All the bug people we have used use the chemical mentioned and it's never made Dobby or Lurch before him sick. They were always careful to not directly spray them and no problems. You could always take him in a travel cage and take him to a friend's or keep him in your car or something till you feel it's safe.
This makes me feel a lot better knowing that your birds have been around it and were fine. The apartment managers said another tenant has a parrot and hasn't had any problems, but I didn't want to trust that (especially considering that the average person with a parrot doesn't care about their health very much). So do you think just keeping him out for a few hours while/after they spray and closing the door to the room he stays in (they said they won't spray the bedroom) would be safe?

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
Any friends nearby that could let him hang out in his carrier for the day? Also check with dog and cat vets, they still may offer boarding for birds. You could also ask any local pet shops if they have any leads.
Unfortunately I just moved to this town and don't have any friends nearby. I think taking him out of town to my parents' might be the easiest option at this point.

If I could be sure they won't spray before 7:30am tomorrow morning (when i get home from work), it would save me a lot of time, because I wouldn't need to go ahead and take him somewhere today before work. Thinking about it, there's not much chance they would wake people up at 7am to spray though, right?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I highly doubt it but unfortunately there's no way to know unless you contact them directly or perhaps your front office. They never come before 8 am at my place,normally it's between 11 and 12.

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
The front office was no help, so I called the pest control company. They said they don't even open until 8am and wouldn't start until 9 or 10, so that helps. When I get off work in the morning I'll take him to my parents' house.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
This makes me feel a lot better knowing that your birds have been around it and were fine. The apartment managers said another tenant has a parrot and hasn't had any problems, but I didn't want to trust that (especially considering that the average person with a parrot doesn't care about their health very much). So do you think just keeping him out for a few hours while/after they spray and closing the door to the room he stays in (they said they won't spray the bedroom) would be safe?
I think he'd be fine at home in his room with the door closed but if you want to be extra careful just keeping him out somewhere safe will be fine and you'll feel better about it. By the time you come back it should be dry and settled. Did you ask them directly about it hurting birds? I don't think any normal person wants to hurt a pet so they should tell you the truth.

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
I think he'd be fine at home in his room with the door closed but if you want to be extra careful just keeping him out somewhere safe will be fine and you'll feel better about it. By the time you come back it should be dry and settled. Did you ask them directly about it hurting birds? I don't think any normal person wants to hurt a pet so they should tell you the truth.
They said it should be safe when dry and said if I wanted to be careful to follow the recommendations for small children (to stay away for 2 hours while it dries). I just don't necessarily trust them to know what's best for birds. Most people are surprised to learn that cooking with Teflon or using a self cleaning oven are issues around birds, so I don't think the average person is aware of how much more sensitive they can be than other pets.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Stick with the plan you have decided on and he and you should be fine. Make a day of it and your parents will probably enjoy his antics. Dobby loves most new people and shows off, makes his favorite noises, and says all his phrases. For some reason he always was touchy around my mom but pretty sure she reminded him of his original gramma that had a stroke so he knew something was different and he was scared of her after that :(

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You could also leave a note on your door or ask the pest control or management to do your unit after 8:30 or so to give you a chance to get home and get secured in your bedroom where you would be sleeping most of the day anyway, and if possible leave an exhaust fan on in the bathroom and the hood fan on in the kitchen. Open your bedroom window a crack for a couple of hours, depending where you live, may also help and block the bottom of the door in the bedroom with a towel…

you may also want to talk to the neighbour with the bird to see what she does…

all the best to you…

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
I'm probably being crazy, but here's my solution to at least make sure they stay out of the bedroom where his cage is (I'm also taking him to my parents' for a couple days).

20230215_080734.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice! That's what I did too! Wrote a long detailed note and put a chair in front of my door.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates? Hope yall are doing well after the trip to your parents.

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
Any updates? Hope yall are doing well after the trip to your parents.
Apollo is at my parents' house hopefully sleeping, and I'm at work. He has his old cage there to stay in and he's used to their house, so he should be comfortable. He's gone on several trips there and back with me during my off time, so him staying there isn't a big deal for him; I just don't like having to pack up his stuff and drive an hour there and back between these 12 hour shifts at work.

When I get off work in the morning I'll go check the apartment to see if it seems safe to return. If not, then I'm going to have to drive there and back tomorrow either way, so might as well stay an extra night or longer (since I have the friday-sunday off).

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear yall made it safely and that he's comfortable staying with your parents. Fingers crossed all will be well and he can come home soon.