• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone with knowledge on metronidazole

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
My girl cockatiel was just put on metronidazole for 10 days. My question is , is it ok to use her UV light while shes on this antibiotic? The reason i ask is because a while back i was put on antibiotics (doxycycline) for lymes. Youre supposed to stay out of the sun while on doxycycline. My job is outside work so i had to go out in the sun. Even with sunscreen on , i blistered from the sunlight.
Second question is , the vet recommended she be given probiotics. I know that you're supposed to give them probiotics after the antibiotic treatment but, can probiotics be given during antibiotic treatment? Or should i wait until after the treatment is completed?

Rebel

I understand comparing these two different antibiotics is like comparing apples to oranges. Id rather be safe than sorry.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can cause increased sensitivity to light so I would avoid using the UV light but then you could check with your vet.

Rebel

Can cause increased sensitivity to light so I would avoid using the UV light but then you could check with your vet.
Thank you for youre reply. Ill take the safe road.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Probably best to wait for the antibiotics to be finished before giving probiotics simply so they are not just wasted.

Rebel

Probably best to wait for the antibiotics to be finished before giving probiotics simply so they are not just wasted.
I was on the fence because probiotics were recommended because of here strange poop. Apparently antibiotics are hard on the gut. Should she have a gut issue already, i was worried about the antibiotics making things worse. Maybe it doesn’t work like that. Probably best to wait.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I always give Greek yogurt to my birds while on antibiotics..same for myself. Only I must take human probiotics while I'm on antibiotics , because of gi issues and past clostridium from antibiotics. My doc has even had me double or triple probiotic while on antibiotics for my human self .

I vote give the probiotics while on antibiotics, as well as post treatment..

I would not use the light while on antibiotics, and est not for ten days post antibiotics to be safe. There is a clearance rate post treatment, I'm not sure the clearance time with this antibiotic , at bare minimum tho I'd say 72 hrs.

Rebel

I always give Greek yogurt to my birds while on antibiotics..same for myself. Only I must take human probiotics while I'm on antibiotics , because of gi issues and past clostridium from antibiotics. My doc has even had me double or triple probiotic while on antibiotics for my human self .

I vote give the probiotics while on antibiotics, as well as post treatment..

I would not use the light while on antibiotics, and est not for ten days post antibiotics to be safe. There is a clearance rate post treatment, I'm not sure the clearance time with this antibiotic , at bare minimum tho I'd say 72 hrs.
I ordered some probiotics from chewy earlier today. Should be here in a couple of days. Everyone recommends Bene-Bac gel but its sold out everywhere. The only thing i can find is powder made by different manufacturer. I know you like to use yogurt, i wish i could get her to eat it. If you have other probiotic recommendations , let me know.
Ill put the UV light on the back burner until well after the antibiotic. Thanks again for your continued support.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think our vendors offer some let me look. And see what other members like on probiotics.
Bummer about yogurt, I do really like that fur mine

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Or start a new thread asking for what folks recommend or have used

Rebel

Or start a new thread asking for what folks recommend or have used
The one i ordered is the one that Mizzely suggested in the thread you provided. I hate to start another thread on a repeat subject. That seems to be frowned upon.