• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone who might have an answer please do so

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
Hello everybody, I am new to a forum of any type :-( I am a senior with a TBI. I have a conure named Connor. I’ll try to make my question quick. Connor was purchased from Sunco pets.He is 2 yo.My late son wanted to rescue him. I have noticed that he only stands on 1 foot. There is no evidence of Bumblefoot, swelling, sores, redness, or warmth. He has special branches for his perches he is offered Harrison pellets and fresh veggie chop and freshwater daily. he also has a bath and the water is changed daily. he has a bird full Spectrum light slightly to the right of the top of his cage, but 1 foot above and directed downward . Plenty of tiny toys- appropriate and safe. He is out of his cage and played with seven hours a day.He does go outside on warm days in his carrier. He brings me great joy. he seems completely healthy, playing flying and eating and drinking. Does anybody have an answer to why he may stand on only 1 foot? Vet wants to charge $95 to talk to me on the phone about Connor‘s foot. We’ve had him in to the vet twice in the last year for routine check ups. I have searched the Avian Avenue for an answer and all over the web.thank you so much!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Im sorry for the loss of your son.

Can you share some pictures of the bird?
Has he always only used one leg or is this recent?

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
I just wanted to add that Connor is sweet and loving and loves attention from myself and my husband. He does get safflower treats for trick training and target training. He loves for his head to be pet with the feathers going the opposite direction :) he does sit on top of my head and can be easily held. He steps up very well. I did read that you might not see them change legs however for the past week, I have been watching him constantly. He does not seem to change legs. He sees an avian vet. I only use vinegar and water to clean the house. nothing scented or sprays or fumes of any type. When we are baking/cooking- he is in another room with the door closed. we have no other pets. Thank you so much for answers.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
Birds sleep on one leg and may go on one leg when they're very relaxed. Is he unable to walk on the bad leg?

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson

Thank you and for the past year he has only seemed to have stood on 1 foot and for the past week I have been watching him constantly. I have pictures of him but not with him standing on one leg. I will try and get a picture as soon as I can. this is Connor on his playset. He just jumped on my phone, so I must go and not text anymore. Lol. I will send pictures of him close-up as soon as I can.
IMG_2061.jpeg

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
He does walk on both legs, however, only stands on his left one.
Has for the past year I have had him but I really started to take notice about a week and a half ago when I really became aware of the issue and was able to watch him constantly.

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
Quickly grabbed my phone while he is playing and yes, he loves to stand on 1 foot when he is relaxed and sleeping :) thank you so much to everyone who is taking time to help Connor!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ok so as mentioned, sleep in one leg can be normal.

Are you saying that when ever he is not moving, he will only stand on the one leg ?

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson

[/QUOTE
Ok so as mentioned, sleep in one leg can be normal.

Are you saying that when ever he is not moving, he will only stand on the one leg ?
Pixiebeak, I am trying to do this with one hand and yes he will only stand on that one leg. I also think I’m doing something incorrectly :-( I’m trying to get to the info section on how to properly reply because I’m not sure everyone is seeing all of my replies. with one hand lol petting his head with the other. He is very demanding, and will nip quite hard if he wants his way :) as conures do. (as I understand?) he does respond to oh uh uh and then I praise him. Thank you so much to you and everyone else who is answering my posts.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Connor seems to have a wonderful life with you! You wrote that when he walks it's obviously with 2 feet. Without any other signs of illness I would just assume that your bird has a dominate foot. As I watch my Linnie I see that she always holds her Nutriberry with her left foot. I haven't noticed if she rests on a different foot at different times. Here's an interesting article.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I also think I’m doing something incorrectly :-( I’m trying to get to the info section on how to properly reply because I’m not sure everyone is seeing all of my replies.
We are seeing all of your replies, you are doing it right ;)

Welcome to Avian Avenue.

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
Welcome! Connor seems to have a wonderful life with you! You wrote that when he walks it's obviously with 2 feet. Without any other signs of illness I would just assume that your bird has a dominate foot. As I watch my Linnie I see that she always holds her Nutriberry with her left foot. I haven't noticed if she rests on a different foot at different times. Here's an interesting article.

Oh my goodness thank you so much!

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
Thank you so much everybody for helping me figure this out!:heart::heart:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It does seem like something could be up,if he always immediately lifts the same foot when nit moving...but it's odd if he can use it ok to climb and walk and move around

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
I found a video that has some conure behaviors explained. Check if out if you’re not quite privy to the body language yet. There’s also the Conure Court who may be able to discern what your little guy is doing.

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
It does seem like something could be up,if he always immediately lifts the same foot when nit moving...but it's odd if he can use it ok to climb and walk and move around
I will schedule an appointment and ask Connor’s avian vet about this, and suck it up and pay the $95 because certainly the little boy and his love and companionship is so so extremely valuable to me!

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
I will schedule an appointment and ask Connor’s avian vet about this, and suck it up and pay the $95 because certainly the little boy and his love and companionship is so so extremely valuable to me!
Oh my goodness I am so forgetful:wacky: the worst part about it is that I’m aware of it afterwards. I forgot that Dona sent me this article Are Parrots Left or Right Footed? (Handedness)
I think this may explain Connor’s Dominance on 1 foot! Instead of paying money that I don’t have to freely spend I will wait until his next avian vet appointment unless I start to notice strange/abnormal behavior/changes for him. Thank you! Kindly-Islandtime

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If you can send a closeup photo of his feet and legs, that would help.

Are you in a temperate region? Maybe it’s becoming winter and his feet are cold. Also, bird have a preferred foot just as we have preferred hands. Often they have left-footed--ness just as people more often are right-handed.

He may just be warming his toes in his down coat. ??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If he is cozy and resting when he is on one foot then it is not generally a concern. Birds will tuck one foot up into their belly area when they are comfortably resting and have no reason to be on high alert- you state that he is showing no signs of illness, injury or discomfort, so, if he is using it fine, moving it fine but simply tucking it up in his belly area while chilling out then I personally do not see a reason to be worried.