• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone Know a Vasa Breeder?

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Greater Vasas are my absolute dream bird (or should I say dinosaur? ), but I have noticed that the main breeder I used to see carry them on BirdBreeders no longer does, and the two Vasa facebook groups I’m on have gone pretty stale! Does anybody here know of someone who breeds them? I would love to get on a waitlist for the future.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, due to their drab plumage, and their "unusual" breeding season changes, vasas were never popular as pets, and as such have not been bred much in the United States. I am not sure of any breeders who sell them as pets, but recommend calling a large bird store and ask them if they have access to a vasa breeder. Many times large shops have lists of breeders for rarer species that are willing to sell to them. You may pay some more as there is a middle man involved, but it is probably your best bet.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
JC Aviary breeds Greater Vasas (I'm not sure if they still do but it says they still do on their site), I got Basil from them as well, they're awesome!

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Unfortunately, due to their drab plumage, and their "unusual" breeding season changes, vasas were never popular as pets, and as such have not been bred much in the United States.
I definitely get the breeding season craziness turning people off, but I have never understood how so many people can think of them as drab and ugly! They are just sooooo adorabibble to me! I love the “strangeness” of their build and how it gives them an awkward, almost prehistoric look to them. Yet I’ve never really been super fond of the way most macaws look, no particular reason why, just a strange preference (though I do love the Hyacinths!). It’s crazy how different looks appeal to different people!

I don’t have a pic of her grown up on this iPad, so I’m just adding a general pic of the breed and a pic of her at four weeks, but I have an Egyptian Fayoumis hen that I adore because she’s just so dino looking! The more Dino-like birds are, the more I seem to love their looks. I guess it’s the geeky kid in me who stills loves dinosaurs!

JC Aviary breeds Greater Vasas (I'm not sure if they still do but it says they still do on their site), I got Basil from them as well, they're awesome!
That would be amazing! They are actually just three hours from me (I hate having to trust the mail with my new babies), and I’ve heard they are awesome. I’ll email them and see if they are still breeding them and, if so, if I can get on a waitlist!

Attachments

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Yay, I’ve found out that Todd Marcus still breeds them and is hoping to get a successful hatch this spring or summer. Still waiting to hear back from JC Aviary about getting on their waitlist! I wonder what the prices run on the, these days? In the past, I’ve seen about $3,500 or so. I just hope they haven’t gone over 5k, because that’s the most I have to spend on the bird itself (unless it wants to volunteer for a starvation diet for a couple years.... :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: ). I am really excited to have found some people who still breed them. It seems like they got moderately popular between 2016 and 2017 then sort of disappeared again.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Yay, I’ve found out that Todd Marcus still breeds them and is hoping to get a successful hatch this spring or summer. Still waiting to hear back from JC Aviary about getting on their waitlist! I wonder what the prices run on the, these days? In the past, I’ve seen about $3,500 or so. I just hope they haven’t gone over 5k, because that’s the most I have to spend on the bird itself (unless it wants to volunteer for a starvation diet for a couple years.... :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: ). I am really excited to have found some people who still breed them. It seems like they got moderately popular between 2016 and 2017 then sort of disappeared again.
Idk how well JC Aviary is at responding to emails, but they're good at keeping up with phone calls and facebook messages which is what we went through!

KotaSeitz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dakota seitz
Hey! Did you ever end up getting your vasa? I’ve come up empty handed myself and was wondering if others were having any luck.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Lone Palm Aviary once sold Vasas.
Not sure if they do anymore, but in the past when asking about a species they didn't have they tried to point me in the direction of other breeders that did.

KotaSeitz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dakota seitz
Lone Palm Aviary once sold Vasas.
Not sure if they do anymore, but in the past when asking about a species they didn't have they tried to point me in the direction of other breeders that did.
Thank you so much!! I’ll give them a try!