• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone Have These Carriers?

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry, wasn't sure what forum to put this in.
I want to get one of these carriers (or something similar) for my budgie, Tango.

I'm wondering if it's best to have them covered so they can't see? Like the second one? Just for Tango to feel less vulnerable.

If anyone has used these or has any other suggestions that aren't to pricey that would be great. Thanks!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't, but they look neat! :)

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
I bought a similar one over the weekend, except it’s not a backpack since those make me anxious (backpacks I wore to school would always unzip themselves for some reason). It’s shaped more like one of those small cat/dog carriers and has a shoulder strap, both ends have mesh screens for ventilation and unzip, and both sides are clear plastic with ventilation holes and also have fabric that can be rolled up or pulled down.

I’m still working on familiarizing my caique with it so I don’t have any user experience with it yet. Gonna follow this thread to see if anyone else has good info :)

My caique is pretty fearless if he has me there to tell him it’s ok, so he actually hopped right in to the carrier after I put an almond sliver on and then in it after keeping it near his play area for a day. Climbed onto the perch by himself after he finished eating his treats and was content to just sit there, but I didn’t want to try zipping the carrier up just yet. He already has a wire travel cage that he likes, and he LOVES looking out the window during car rides so I plan on keeping at least one side of the carrier with the “shade” rolled up when I use it. We got the carrier because we wanted something slightly more compact to use to take him on short walks, since we’re still working on harness/flight suit training. We live in a really warm area so I’ll also be keeping a close eye on the temperature inside, because I’ve heard those plastic backpacks can heat up very rapidly in the sun.

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
I have a Pak-o-Bird. It's held up great, i think we've had it for about 10 years, it works great, we got it with the mosquito proof stainless mesh panels. Pak-o-birds have pull down shades for all the panels with mesh so you can cover when you want but leave it open when you want too. We got the stroller for it too but ended up not using that much as we found out that there were so many dangers to taking our guy out as much as we thought we would. But it works great for quick transport. We also use a medium aluminum kings travel cage, not sure if they still make those but they used to have a tiny one too. That cage is AWESOME it works for everything and provides the protection of a rigid structure so it can't get squished.

Momof3litt

I have two of these for my budgies (duffel bag shape, not the backpack style). Mine is slightly different as it has covers you can roll down over the clear sides. I have two so that I can catch/carry them separately if needed, but they generally travel together in one.

I haven't generally needed to cover them while travelling, but if they get too agitated, we will either roll down the side covers or put a light blanket over the top. I don't use these for walks or anything though and they usually travel in a fairly dark part of the car.

I have a backpack for my GCC and I take him out in it frequently. I've never covered it and he seems to like watching everything going on around him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I love the Kings cage aluminum.

I also have a pak-o-bird. Sadly, Secret has started tearing at a section. Silly bird has to start something.....

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for the replies everyone! Do you think having clear uncovered sides will make my nervous budgie more scared? Probably the only time I would use it is to take her to the vet and stuff.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
Ok so I’ve used the carrier a few times now and I’ll be reserving it for very short trips in cool weather only. First trip was just down the street to pick up a takeout order. No problem. Second “trip” was to get some sun on our balcony during lunch and I had to take him back inside after only 10 minutes because I noticed it was heating up.

Third trip, I learned that it makes him car sick... he has no issues in his wire travel cage, but the same exact trip in this plastic carrier had him hacking up his breakfast, and the poor thing was pretty grumpy the rest of the day. I’m not sure if it’s looking through the plastic that makes him sick, or if it’s only having a single perch to hold on to - he prefers to either climb around his wire cage or dangle like a bat from the top of it, but he also sometimes just rolls over and lays on his back and he never gets sick in there.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Ok so I’ve used the carrier a few times now and I’ll be reserving it for very short trips in cool weather only. First trip was just down the street to pick up a takeout order. No problem. Second “trip” was to get some sun on our balcony during lunch and I had to take him back inside after only 10 minutes because I noticed it was heating up.

Third trip, I learned that it makes him car sick... he has no issues in his wire travel cage, but the same exact trip in this plastic carrier had him hacking up his breakfast, and the poor thing was pretty grumpy the rest of the day. I’m not sure if it’s looking through the plastic that makes him sick, or if it’s only having a single perch to hold on to - he prefers to either climb around his wire cage or dangle like a bat from the top of it, but he also sometimes just rolls over and lays on his back and he never gets sick in there.
Thanks for updating, good to know.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
I think I'm gonna go with the backpack one, though I'll probably never use it as a backpack.
Does anyone know if the holes at the bottom are open? and if a budgie could fit through them?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I think I'm gonna go with the backpack one, though I'll probably never use it as a backpack.
Does anyone know if the holes at the bottom are open? and if a budgie could fit through them?
The holes at the bottom are open. One of the reviews said they put their two budgies in it so based on that I would say the holes are probably smaller than a budgie could fit through. You could contact the vendor as well to get the dimensions of the holes to be absolutely sure.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
One of the reviews has a picture with a Tiel in the backpack; gives a bit of a better idea of size than that photoshopped Sun Conure. :bored:

Momof3litt

I know it's a slightly different bag, but this is what I have

1636073075444.png
And there's no way budgies could fit through those holders. They are big enough for a bolt-on bowl or the ends of perch and I think you're meant to be able to choose which set of holes to install the perch in. Both ends have ventilation also, so the small holes aren't the only air holes.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
I know it's a slightly different bag, but this is what I have

View attachment 396014
And there's no way budgies could fit through those holders. They are big enough for a bolt-on bowl or the ends of perch and I think you're meant to be able to choose which set of holes to install the perch in. Both ends have ventilation also, so the small holes aren't the only air holes.
that’s the one I got for my caique that makes him car sick lol. He’s also terrified of the plastic side of the liner in the bottom, but I don’t know how we’re expected to keep the fleece side clean?

Momof3litt

I put a piece of newspaper or cage liner over the shiny part. I tuck the edges around the bottom piece like wrapping a present. Its not so much the poop as the bits of seed/hull that static cling to everything, lol! Makes it much easier to clean.

I also use a tiny screw on cup (swiped from one of our window perches) to put some seed/water. The tiny plastic no-spill gerbil bowls work well also, and if you stick them in a corner, they don't seem to slide around or get too dirty. Also a kabob toy at one end, with the string running out where the two zippers close and a treat stick at the other end. Neither of those things have interfered with the zippers, but sometimes I use a twist tie to close them on the outside, to protect against curious fingers in the car...

Our last road trip was 6+ hours each way, hence the above. If we were just going to the vet I would probably just give them a sprig of millet and leave it at that.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks everyone, I will probably order it soon.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Hey again. Just wondering, it is best to have a perch in the carrier, right? Like if I was to buy a cheaper, perchless one would she be fine, or would it work to slide a stick through the gaps in the side?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What kind of carrier?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure what materials you’d be working with there so I’m not sure if drilling holes for a perch is definitely doable (probably fine for the plastic carriers in first two links).
I do know that when given a perch they (all my birds) will always use it- they can hold on to the perch and stay in one spot instead of being toppled over or slid about.
I think you should have a well secured perch for them to use if they want to.