• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have experience with having a bird with kidney and liver issues

333Birdmum

Checking out the neighborhood
After getting some blood results back for my rainbow lorikeet showing his liver and kidney are not functioning right
His only symptoms are a bit of vomiting and not eating nectar only grapes and apple but has been losing weight and needing to be crop feed and getting fluids I can’t afford to get a biopsy so atm we focosing on getting him back to his normal weight and eating normally again has anyone experienced anything similar with their bird and what there recovery process was like and if he will recover completely thank you

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
We have a cockatoo that went into kidney and liver failure due to a combination of a viral infection, pain medicine that was rough on her kidneys and a burn from a too-powerful UV lamp. Burns can be a direct cause of kidney injury. Recovery depends on what is going wrong, and even when it's something that is reversible the healing journey can be a long one. We gave allopurinol to our girly bird every 12 hours for nearly two years before she could be weaned off the medicine. Whatever the future holds for you, we will be here to support you!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Had you been feeding the powder nectar dry?

I had kidney and Liver issues with clymadia in mine , as past of their symptoms.. they recoverd on antibiotics.

Did yours have a high white count? Did they culture for yeast or bacteria? I've had yeast infection cause vomiting and weight loss .

333Birdmum

Checking out the neighborhood
We have a cockatoo that went into kidney and liver failure due to a combination of a viral infection, pain medicine that was rough on her kidneys and a burn from a too-powerful UV lamp. Burns can be a direct cause of kidney injury. Recovery depends on what is going wrong, and even when it's something that is reversible the healing journey can be a long one. We gave allopurinol to our girly bird every 12 hours for nearly two years before she could be weaned off the medicine. Whatever the future holds for you, we will be here to support you!
Thank you for your support his been back home about 2 weeks on antibiotics for the next month and his doing good back to a healthy weight and back to his Normal self