• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone feed raw?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
So I haven't been on this forum in a week or so because AA has been acting up and super slow. Been considering and probably will switch my cats to raw or cooked food. I know all about premixes and such. Just wondering if anyone feeds raw here on the forum to their cats? We've bought Smalls cat food (premade frozen raw food shipped to your door, all organic etc) and they love that but going to try to switch to a cheaper option. All canned and dry food has lots of additives and fillers similar to bird food.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I don’t have cats, but I feed raw to my dogs and they’re so much healthier! I make big batches at once and freeze.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
I don’t have cats, but I feed raw to my dogs and they’re so much healthier! I make big batches at once and freeze.
Thanks. I won't be grinding my own bones and hearts and such but the premix plus meat (chicken to start with) should be good. I will probably make big batches once I figure it out and get the hang of it. I will also probably cook some of it at least to start out with

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Same here. I don't have cats, but feed my dog homemade food with raw beef liver. He has lost weight, probably was 15 pounds overweight. His coat is beautiful, and he just seems to enjoy his meals more. Oh, he is an Aussie, not a little dog.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Be careful about reading and researching because one of my clients has been feeding her dogs a brand of food called Stella and Chewy's raw patties. It's super expensive and supposedly good stuff. When her dogs had their last check up the vet told her that Stella and Chewys is not even really raw food!

So now they're eating a new raw food called Small batch . I know they're dogs and not cats but I wanted to mention it because some of those prepackaged foods can be misleading, even though they're super expensive. They do make small batch for cats though and it was recommended by the vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
TheCatSite has a raw feeding section of their forum that is filled with a lot of information.

I tried to switch both my cats to raw when my older (now passed) cat was having a lot of issues but neither of my cats took to it :(

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
It super easy and cheaper to make your own. I’m sure the cat recipe would differ but for my dogs this is my recipe

Ground beef
Chicken livers
Raw eggs with shells
Can sardines in water
Grizzly salmon oil
Carrots or apples blended in a little water
Kelp supplement

Sometimes I mix this with kibble or just use as a topper to get them to eat their dry food if their picky.

I don't grind raw bones, they just get those seperately in their crate so it’s easy to sanitize afterward.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
TheCatSite has a raw feeding section of their forum that is filled with a lot of information.

I tried to switch both my cats to raw when my older (now passed) cat was having a lot of issues but neither of my cats took to it :(
Thank you. I have seen this site and am on a Facebook group for cats and people that feed raw to cats etc. I'm so sorry you didn't have any luck with it for your kitties. Been feeding smalls and they love it!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I used to feed RadCat to my cat with ibd a few years ago. I'm vegan, so me actually buying the meat etc is not going to happen, but RadCat made it easy. She gobbled it right up! I haven't bought it for my current cats but my ibd kitty only ate the chicken or turkey, she couldn't digest beef, pork, lamb, anything with hooves. It was was high pressure pasturized.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
RadCat is pricey.... So I'm not sure about a cost effective alternative aside from doing outright raw meaty bones outright.