• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone ever met a 2 with one leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natty

Meeting neighbors
I had a stray RB2 come into care today with what seems to be a shattered leg - both tibia and fibula. He is just a baby, and such a gentle little soul. He's been strapped to help him be comfortable while he awaits an xray but it looks like there might not be anything that can be done to repair the bones.

Has anyone here got any experience with cockatoos who have lost a leg?

I do really hope there is another option for him but I'm also preparing for the worst :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I have seen a couple of one legged birds here in Florida and they get around just fine. Praying for the little guy. Does he have a name?

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor baby. I really hope they are able to do something for him. Hopefully someone who has more experience will come and offer you some advice. Hang on a minute.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once it's healed it should not slow him down much. Their legs are really strong so doing things one legged would not be that hard. They love to eat holding food in one foot while standing on the other so he would need to adjust for that.

Something that would be of great help to him would be to allow him the right to fly. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ive seen wild crows and seagulls survive out in the wild with one leg, even pigeons.

I havent seen a one legged 'too. But I have seen a one legged amazon. A caged one leg bird that Ive seen was very depressed and nervous and didnt seem to want to do anything. :(

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I have a one-legged budgie (a little smaller, I know :) ) and he is just like any other budgie. He gets along just fine and can still fly and land with it, although it did take him longer than others to learn how to land gracefully. Luckily, he no longer beak plants first!

Natty

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your replies and thoughts. He has been named Kermit. :)

I'd say he has been taken from the wild as a baby, tamed and kept. His wings have been clipped - badly - but they will re-grow so he will be able to fly. Whoever has had him has then either had enough of him and turned him loose, or let him escape. Then because of the butcher's job on his wing feathers he has struggled and been hit by a car. :(

I'd say he will be ok. He's a bright and cheerful fellow, even with his leg so sore (the pain meds are helping with that though :D).

We've just a similar one with a Little Corella who has had to have her wing amputated at the shoulder due to a release or escape and then a run-in with a car. She's doing pretty well considering, and has come home with me on foster for Christmas. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for giving them both a second chance! :hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
a Little Corella has come home with me on foster for Christmas. :)
I think perhaps her name should be "Holiday".

Bless you soo much for taking in the "pests" of your country for rehabilitation. They have feelings too.

I hope the pain of the Galah is being managed so the healing can begin. Will you keep either of these??

No doubt a one winged Corella will still be a handful once healed up. lol

:hug8: Thanks again.

Natty

Meeting neighbors
She is certainly being a handful! :D I have tentatively named her Cirrus. I was telling myself I wasn't allowed to name her until I was more certain she would survive!

We don't get many wild Corellas into care but have had a few lately. This one may have been stray for some time, she was very thin and unhappy. :( She's proving to be more and more of a handful every day now which is so lovely to see - her personailty coming back out again. It was sad seeing her depressed and hurt.

This is her, with her despised collar still on to stop her chewing her wound...

But we get so very many Galahs into care, the young ones have such a rough time in the wild. Especially with roads...

Little Kermit is on pain management and is a brave little soul. He's won some hearts already!

But it has been strange to have two so similar come into care within two weeks. Both so tame, and both facing the end or a future with a major disability. I'd always rather give them whatever chance we can - I'm sure they can be happy with the right home and care. I've dealt with parrots who've lost part of a wing before, but not a whole wing or a leg. So I'm learning lots from these two. :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I soo appreciate what your doing for these Parrots.

Glad to hear the little corella is making good strides back into the crazy personality they are known for.

Will it be hard there to find homes for these two?? I sure hope after what they have been through they can find loving homes with the best of care.

What is it about the Galahs and the cars? Are they sitting on the sides of the roads eating or?? Why are they getting hit so often? Just don't know better?

Natty

Meeting neighbors
Well Galahs are wild flyers at the best of times, and just love doing fast swoops and dives. They are so caught up in their own excitement they have no regard for what is going on around them. Plus with mown grass on road edges and in median strips there is lovely young grass seeds right on the roads edges. So they congregate around roads anyway.

But they do sit on roads, they are shocking for it. I actually had to completely stop the other day for a group of youngsters that just sat watching my car drive up to them. It was only me beeping at them that moved them off. A truck was coming the other way which wouldn't have been so courteous!

It's nothing for us to see five or more per day brought into the wildlife hospital at this time of year, an half of them would be car accident victims. So sad.

Tragically, and this one is the worst to see, if an adult is injured on a road it's calls bring it's mate and other flock members to try and help it, so more get hit as a result... :(

We had an adult female brought in recently who had lost her mate and was with him on the road when picked up. She only had minor injuries but she was so sad we didn't think we could pull her through. But we buddied her up with some orphaned wild youngsters we were raising and she started eating again. We eventually released them with her back into her flock. They seemed to cheer her up no end so I hope she is happy again out there somewhere!

And little Corella is coming along in leaps and bounds. She has lots of adjusting to do, one wing, new people etc etc. But she's just amazing me everyday - and still only five days post op!

They will need special homes. Corella could still end up staying with us yet, but the Galah will have to be adopted out very carefully.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Goodness those Galahs, are really not savvy with the cars.
Good foragers to find those yummy seeds but still.:(

Are the Sulphers often in car wrecks?

Glad the Corella is doing well, poct new pics of her when you can. Is she tame enough to handle without bites?

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
RB2's are little troopers! I bet he will get along fine! Can you post pictures when he is healed? Keep us updated! :)

Natty

Meeting neighbors
The Sulpurs yes, all too often mixed up with cars...

We have a couple of wild ones in care with car injuries, they're the lucky few.

The Corella has been cahnged by default to Cloud. She is the most adorable thing. never bites, helps the little kids with their felt tip pens - she's quite the artist!

And best of all she loves laps and cuddles. She runs to the door for a look when the wild corellas come around calling, but she doesn't seem to worry too much and comes straight back to what she was doing when they go. I think she'll settle beautifully, she's a real people bird. :)

ETA - I'll let you all know how Kermit goes. His foster carer seems to think the leg may be healing to some extent - more xrays later in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.