• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any white front/spectacled amazon owners?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I made a friend at the pet store, which just got me interested in learning more. I don't really plan on getting em but never hurts to learn! I was just wondering how they compare to the typical idea of Amazon attitude and how they sound when they scream. I searched YouTube and couldn't find a screaming white front at all. Any other interesting info I'll take too, I just love learning about parrots! Pic of the new friend below (who bit me to hang on and not leave me).

20191101_165716.jpg

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Bump, also that’s a super cute picture!
Little baby was so sweet, till I went to put them down. Then I got bit 4 times when they tried to get back up on my hand to spend more time with me. Only one bite drew blood though and wasn't even that bad. I'm honestly a bit smitten with them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Adorable!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There used to be a few members who owned white-fronted amazons, but I do not believe that any are still active members.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Makes sense. I always seem to like species that aren't commonly kept, so I wasn't surprised when there weren't many responses. :lol:
I used to have one back in the 80's. They are also commonly called " spectacled amazon" so try that on your you tube search.
They have great personalities, and a bit smaller of the Amazon spieces, compared to say a blue front. Like most amazons, they'll form a one person bond. They are quite the talkers, and of course go through the bluffing hormonal thingy. They're vocal too, a bit sharp you might say. A loud trill is a better word. Or you might say it sqeals! Lol.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I used to have one back in the 80's. They are also commonly called " spectacled amazon" so try that on your you tube search.
They have great personalities, and a bit smaller of the Amazon spieces, compared to say a blue front. Like most amazons, they'll form a one person bond. They are quite the talkers, and of course go through the bluffing hormonal thingy. They're vocal too, a bit sharp you might say. A loud trill is a better word. Or you might say it sqeals! Lol.

They are very in tune with you, lovely natured amazons.

MadIe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madie
Makes sense. I always seem to like species that aren't commonly kept, so I wasn't surprised when there weren't many responses. :lol:
same here. After a month of reading we decided for a timneth -no way I can get one here in Belgium. So the next choice was the white head Amazon. I need advise but can't find many people who own them. Keep me posted if you get one or learn more please

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@AkasyaEllric Sorry I missed your post. I usually hang out in the African Grey group as I now have Paco. I had a wild caught White Front Amazon for 25 years. @MadIe Did you get a White Front? Bugsy was wild caught and not tame what so ever, switching her diet to a healthier one was a night mare, but remember she was wild, not born and raised in captivity. I loved her like you would your spouse or best friend, she was a female even though the pet store told my friend she was a male. She said two words once. They are extremely smart. When I got her she was scared to get out of her cage, well she got over that. She was full flighted and flew where ever she wanted to. Of course I had to shoo her off of the doors, I never used a broom, previous owner did and was terrified of them. She was fearless, not afraid of my dog or the cats. She would drink water out of my fish tank. She did like corn on the cob, chicken bones and waffles, that bird was nuts about waffles. They are screamers, you could hear her a block away, it never bothered me. When I lived in a townhouse I was worried that she would bother the neighbors, but my neighbor was awesome, she said she felt like she was on a tropical island when Bugs got vocal. We had our own language, she understood me and I knew by her different calls if something was bothering her. I talked to her like you would talk to a best friend. My daughter always told me that I was crazy and the bird didn't understand me. Well one day I came home and my daughter was all excited, Bugsy was doing something bad, probably chew the top of the wooden book case, she told me she told her to stop or she would tell mom and she was floored when the bird stopped and flew to her cage. Another thing she learned on her own was to go to her cage. It took bribes with food to get her to do it. Then I would just say bye bye and she would fly on her own. She was so good at it, that when I picked up my coat she would go to her cage, well that's what I thought it was. She actually learned on her own when she heard my car keys jingle that I was leaving and would fly to her cage. I taught her to fly to my shoulder for a treat. Don't underestimate this parrot, true there is not much information on them but I wouldn't have traded the 25 years with her for anything.

MadIe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madie
@AkasyaEllric Sorry I missed your post. I usually hang out in the African Grey group as I now have Paco. I had a wild caught White Front Amazon for 25 years. @MadIe Did you get a White Front? Bugsy was wild caught and not tame what so ever, switching her diet to a healthier one was a night mare, but remember she was wild, not born and raised in captivity. I loved her like you would your spouse or best friend, she was a female even though the pet store told my friend she was a male. She said two words once. They are extremely smart. When I got her she was scared to get out of her cage, well she got over that. She was full flighted and flew where ever she wanted to. Of course I had to shoo her off of the doors, I never used a broom, previous owner did and was terrified of them. She was fearless, not afraid of my dog or the cats. She would drink water out of my fish tank. She did like corn on the cob, chicken bones and waffles, that bird was nuts about waffles. They are screamers, you could hear her a block away, it never bothered me. When I lived in a townhouse I was worried that she would bother the neighbors, but my neighbor was awesome, she said she felt like she was on a tropical island when Bugs got vocal. We had our own language, she understood me and I knew by her different calls if something was bothering her. I talked to her like you would talk to a best friend. My daughter always told me that I was crazy and the bird didn't understand me. Well one day I came home and my daughter was all excited, Bugsy was doing something bad, probably chew the top of the wooden book case, she told me she told her to stop or she would tell mom and she was floored when the bird stopped and flew to her cage. Another thing she learned on her own was to go to her cage. It took bribes with food to get her to do it. Then I would just say bye bye and she would fly on her own. She was so good at it, that when I picked up my coat she would go to her cage, well that's what I thought it was. She actually learned on her own when she heard my car keys jingle that I was leaving and would fly to her cage. I taught her to fly to my shoulder for a treat. Don't underestimate this parrot, true there is not much information on them but I wouldn't have traded the 25 years with her for anything.
thanks . I did not.
I set for a Timneth but they are not sold here in Belgium. Then the family decided for a Meyer's poicephalus -same story! Now we're back to zero. Kids are disappointed and me too. But I don't trust the vendors, they only seem to want to sell me what they have ïn stock" and claim all birds they have are great, though I now have been reading for 2 months and know it's not at all the case.
Not sure if you have any experience with conures?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Snowghost I have been thinking of a rescue white front (there is one at a local rescue) but was wondering about something that has been putting me off applying...

I work full days Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, as well as a half day Tuesday and not at all on the weekends. Would I be able to provide him with enough out of the cage time (about 40hrs over a week, including two almost full days at the weekend)?

Also, it says that his weight changes quite a bit, is there a diet I could change him to that would stop this, or should I just monitor it closely.

(I will be doing proper research into the bird, but thought it would be best to stop by here first to get some individual advice to know whether to apply or not)

Any suggestions?

Ali

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Amazons are adaptable. We work full time in this house.

Reactions: Ali

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
That's good! I would really live to put an application in!

Ali
MC was a blue front and Secret is a blue front. Everything I read about amazons said they were adaptable. The awesome thing to me is their body language. A pinning eye is easy to read. The flared tail (Secret is very well known for that) BEWARE!

MC was an absolute love. Because of him, we kept both those birds instead of finding homes for them. Secret is alone now and my heart breaks for that bird.

When you win the heart of an Amazon, you have a fabulous buddy.

• Love

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret is the bird in my avatar. The bird has a soft core..... somewhere!

• Haha

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
He's a beautiful bird. How long has he been with you?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He's a beautiful bird. How long has he been with you?
I think we rescued the 2 off them in 2011. I lurked on here for quite a while before joining.

• Haha