• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any thoughts? or advice.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I took a leap of faith and brought home an Orange Wing Amazon. His name is Bongo. He's incredibly sweet. Thought to be 10 plus years old and thought to be a male. The sex I will determine at a later date once he visits the vet. For now, Bongo is male. Any who Mr. Bongo seems perfect in all aspects. As perfect as a parrot could get. When I speak to him, he closes his eyes, the cheek feathers fluff and naps, or just closes his eyes with cheek feathers fluffes and does that wing jerk and/or shakes his tail. All great signs I believe and from personal experience with Patti my Blue Front Amazon I lost to cancer a few years ago. Patti was incredible to. Would everybody be in agreement that these are all signs of contentment? ALSO, he perches ALL DAY long on one perch when he has 8 to choose from. Some of same texture as the one he sits on all day and others of a different texture. It's not like he doesnt have room. He's got space to move. He'll travel down to his bowl to eat then back up to that favorite perch and sits there ALL DAY until he's ready for another raid to food bowl. You can leave the cage door open and he will not come out. He's just content in his cage, sitting on his favorite perch, or down at food bowl. I am unsure of his history, but I feel like in his previous home or homes he wasn't presented with much in way of perches or toys. What are yor guys thoughts??

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
It sounds like Bongo is a happy and contented Amazon. I suspect that he's still getting used to his new home and feels most comfortable just sitting in a favorite place and observing his surroundings. Eventually he'll probably move around more and may be ready to venture out of his cage. Something I often suggest is putting a hanging perch on the outside of the cage, just below the cage door. That gives a parrot a safe, comfortable place to perch just outside the cage and that can be a first step in going beyond the confines of the cage. All the best to you and Bongo.