• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Any Ideas on this Confusing Feather??

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Why does he have a single white feather on the top of his wing?? I can't see any other feathers like this on him, but he also doesn't let me fiddle with his wings/feathers so there might be some hiding.
20230114_100715.jpg
20230114_134102.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes they can have a funky feather if something bumped the follicle in the early days. Jingo (blue Quaker) had white tipped tail feathers for a bit because of crash landings. I agree that one isn't likely a cause for concern :)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Looks chewed or like a weak spot that broke from a stress bar. Keep an eye on molted feathers to see more but without more the one would not concern me.
I think I noticed one other ratty one on his other wing, but didn't get a good look as he does not like to be touch on his wings/back.
Sometimes they can have a funky feather if something bumped the follicle in the early days. Jingo (blue Quaker) had white tipped tail feathers for a bit because of crash landings. I agree that one isn't likely a cause for concern :)
Yeah, it's not particularly concerning to me I am just very confused about it. It's just so white! The whitest feather on his whole body. And I never noticed it before so I think it's a fairly new feather.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I second @Macawnutz on the stress bar. Rhubarb, my RB2, is especially prone to them. The color could be independent of the break, and indicate a little bit of a mutation. You shouldn't be concerned unless more and more feathers show a change.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
And it's back!

Screenshot_20230321-135058_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230321-135049_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230321-135034_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230321-135025_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230321-135012_Gallery.jpg
I also realised it's his left wing, his previously injured wing, so maybe that why it's white, like Mizzely said.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well it's cute :)