• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any green cheek psychologists out there???

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Hi all it's it's been a while. I write this as I'm having a few issues with my hormonal male yellow sided green cheek conure. May need some input as the situation is a bit unique..
First a few facts, I have an adult pair of cockatiels and 4 offspring from a clutch ( will be about two and half years old) two male two female and one male yellow sided green cheek conure. All has been well and everybody is friendly and live in 3x cages on an evening (mum and dad in one, 4x young in another, and conure in his own on top of others)and are free to fly in an aviary all day everyday. Spring has arrived and since my clutch of babies nearly 3 years ago we have had little or no problems with hormones or egg laying. However this spring I missed the early weather and my young females have elevated hormones this last fortnight and have had a couple of eggs each and my male green cheek has gone MENTAL!!!!!
Not at the birds but at me.... My cockatiels are happy to let me move them from house to aviary even during a time of egg laying because I hand reared them and they just don't see me as a threat but my conure is FIERCELY defending them and their nesting space, he thinks he is the father figure and he has mangled my hand every evening so it looks like I have punched Broken glass! None of the tiels have shown any interest in him and he is normally the sweetest bird you could meet but now I am the enemy and he wants me dead but only for 2 minutes every evening, then after 30 seconds of chewing my hand he calms down has a ruffle of his feathers and gives me a kiss and jumps in the cage to be moved back to the house..... PS he will defend any female who is even sat low to the ground no eggs need be there he just gets his feathers in a twist and goes mental... I can handle tiel hormones but this is a new level, has anyone here got any suggestions to try or have you seen conures defending multiple females in a flock before? Need some ideas or rather my fingers do!!!!??? IMG_20190416_093041.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
What an adorable photo!!!

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
I hope the eggs were destroyed and replaced with fakes
Yes I have no plans on feeding birds every 4 hours through the night ever again!!!
I have fake eggs but they just left them on the floor and never went back once they left them. But he will stay and fight over them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If the hens have abandoned the fakes, then remove them.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You'll just have to ride it through all these hormones. He is nesting with those that are available. My males are much more into the eggs than my girls.

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
You'll just have to ride it through all these hormones. He is nesting with those that are available. My males are much more into the eggs than my girls.
The situation has passed now. He is back to his normal self and a few early bedtimes and some rain and cooler weather has turned the switch on the tiels and no more cooing or squatting. I usually manage my birds hormones through longer bedtimes and moving them from cage to aviary everyday but I've been working long shifts lately and the hot weather means they have had early until late outside too much and the balance tipped over for 2 of my females. It's back again now and under control so no more rowdy behaviour anymore. Just goes to show how elevated hormones can turn perfectly sane birds into wood chippers with wings and a desire to kill!!!!