• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anxious about night frights

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
So I have five tiels. Two are in one big cage and three are in a slightly bigger cage. This cage has enough room for them to flap their wings and in at least some spots they have a short fly from perch to perch. I tried my best to space it out well to avoid injuries

they have a history of having night frights (as all tiels do) and with this flock if one goes they all go so…

I have a few night lights set up. Not too much that it doesnt signal sleepy time, but enough that I a human can see the whole floor and can see the patterns on my birds’ feathers

i keep their door closed and a blackout blind over the window at night

only thing is in my house ive found it might be hard for me to hear if they do thrash around at night, so Im worried I wont be able to go turn their lights on to get them to stop thrashing around (which is why i made sure to put more night lights)

is the amount of light enough for them to be able to stop themselves when thrashing if they have a night fright/prevent night frights?

last night I got up several times just to put my ear to their door to check if they were okay (they were). But I don’t want that paranoia every night.

Any advice is much appreciated :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok ,here some things that have helped with my tiels. When you put them to bed at night going to sound funny but it works. Sing to them the same song every night. Make it a routine as you cover them sing their night night song. That way they know you are getting to them if they are afraid.
Buy a smart plug like this:
They make a floor lamp also
Put the app on your phone, install the plug to light, then to outletb follow the instructions from app. You can turn on this light as soon as you hear a night fright and then get there. Most often they just need to see a light coming on to settle themselves. Plus good WiFi baby monitor with app.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Make sure the space around the sleep perch has some room free from things that can injure them.

Tiels might be prone to night frights but is you provide some light & don't crowd them with things they should be alright.