• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ants....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinh

Walking the driveway
So I've just moved into a newly built home and I've come to realize the ants are terrible since the community is also a brand new development. I've been cleaning Jackson's cage like twice a day and if I give him fruit I go back like 20 min later to clean. Even still the ants are everywhere! I don't know what to do !! They were so bad one day I had to take Jackson out of his room and spray the baseboards and floor (which is stained concrete) with RAID. I then wiped it all up and kept Jackson out for a few hours while I opened the windows and aired out the room. This however, still makes me nervous. Then the next day....which maybe totally unrelated....he had diarrhea all day. He didn't act like he felt bad. He was still very inquisitive and vocal and the next day his stools were back to normal. So anyway...don't know what to do about the ants!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ants

• Vinegar can be used to destroy ant trails. Without clear trails, the ants will get confused and may stay outside for a while. You can use it diluted with water or straight. And, of course, vinegar is also a great household homemade cleaner, so not only do you get rid of the ants, you get some cleaning done too.
  • Cinnamon and black pepper are both increasingly being used in garden and indoor insect control. You can try dusting the outdoor nests with either of these spices. Cinnamon is more beneficial as a natural barrier to stop them from coming in -- it's most effective when you find the source of where the ants are coming in.
  • Add borax to sugar. Many people believe that you should use a 50-50 concentration, however, ultimately the goal is to have the ants bring borax back to their nests. Starting with a lower concentration such as 5% or 10% borax to sugar and gradually increasing it to 40%-50% will allow the ants to have more time to bring more back. The mixture should be placed where you see the ants or on the ant trails.
  • Baby powder or talcum powder is not appreciated by these bugs. The theory is if you dust the ants and the trail, they’ll stop coming.
  • Liquid soap diluted with water is an easy way to wipe out your pests while not harming your people. When used outside as a spray, you'll want to dilute the soap (such as Dr. Bronner's Organic Castile Soap) -- roughly 1 or 2 tablespoons per quart of water -- to kill the pests but not your plants.
  • Bay leaves, cloves, and cayenne pepper have long been used for ant control. Try putting one of these at their entry point, and in drawers, shelves, etc., where the ants are going, to prevent them from coming in.
  • Peppermint can be sprayed around your home's perimeter and at ant entry points. This will deter them from coming inside.
More resources: SimpleGiftsFarm.com, Sugar Ant Hotel from Care2.

You can place a pie plate with one on the solutions under each leg of the cage so there is no way for them to climb the legs and get into the cage.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
p.s. camicide is a potent bird safe pesticide spray. It is NOT non-toxic but is safe if you ventilate the area well after using it.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
I have a solution for the cage so you can continue to feed fruits, pellets and ant attractants.

You need moats. I know it sounds silly, but it works. I've had to do it twice while renting. Thankfully where we are now I can keep the ants out just by keeping the floors clean.

You will need 2 containers for each wheel/leg of the cage. One will need to be able to fit over the wheel, or large enough for the wheel to stand inside. It needs be at least an inch or two deep to keep the water out and the wheel dry. The other has to be large enough to hold an inch or two of water (deep and width from outer edge to inside container edge).

What I did was use salad bowl, and put small 'summer' wear cups (which are usually $1 for 4 at Walmart right now) inside. Basicallly, bowl on the bottom, cup inside the bowl, and cage leg inside the cup. Then I fill the bowl as deeply as possible. You could also use a ice cream pail or any other two containers. Honestly even two rubbermaid/ziploc containers of two different sizes will work.

You just need to create a large water barrier between the cage leg and the ants, but most of us aren't willing to put the cage legs directly in water, so you need a double container/moat system.

Hope that helps you ward them off while killing them off!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I use plain Borax. It is sold in a container that looks like a powdered chalk container, for roaches. Sprinkle it across any opening...IE: doorstoop, along windowsill...wherever they are getting in.
I also put up Grant's ant bait stations. They look like grey colored roach motels, with a small opening.
One day and all ants were gone. And I have fruit out all day.

Last edited:

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Terro Ant Killer works very well. It is a liquid that you pour a little bit on a small piece of cardboard, they eat it and take it back to the nest to kill all the ants. Just make sure it's not put down where the birds can get a hold of it.
I have a rock waterfall in my den and the ants were terrible this spring. I placed baits out for 3 days and haven't seen an ant in the house since.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
Camacide seems to do the trick.... the only issue is I have to spray every day.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Terro Ant Killer works very well. It is a liquid that you pour a little bit on a small piece of cardboard, they eat it and take it back to the nest to kill all the ants. Just make sure it's not put down where the birds can get a hold of it.
I have a rock waterfall in my den and the ants were terrible this spring. I placed baits out for 3 days and haven't seen an ant in the house since.
I agree..that stuff is great!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great info! Now I know what to do if we ever get ants.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I use Terro inside the house and then by Amdro and sprinkle it around the perimeter of the outside of the house. You can buy Amdro at most Walmarts or home improvement stores

Jadesmom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mary Ann
I had awful ants last year. The borax works, but to keep them out of the cage and off the food, I went to Wally World and bought tiny saucers for under flower pots ( A little over a buck a piece) and put water and a squirt of LEMON Dawn dish detergent. I read Lemon Dawn was the best at keeping away anys. I put a cage leg in each one. As the wheels are plastic, it didn't hurt a thing. It kept the food and fids safe until I handled the ant mess. I hate them. Its so gross to see thier food covered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.