• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ants - dangerous for my birds?

Budgiie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Spencer
I recently moved to a new flat and set up a little makeshift outdoor area for my birds. My room is right next to the garden and I've noticed there are ants out there. Like, a LOT of ants. Like, a LOT A LOT of ants. As in, I sat outside for 15 minutes or so with him and I must have seen hundreds of ants carrying eggs for some reason. They haven't come inside yet, but I'm sure they will because I have a lorikeet. His nectar dish would be an ant's dream. Sooo... killing the ants off outside. I'm going to pick up some ant bait but I'm very very paranoid. If an ant were to eat or touch the bait and then find its way into his cage and he were to lick it or eat it, how bad would this be for him?? In the meantime I will take precautions of putting the cage wheels in water and sprinkling some DE around the walls / cage wheels but I'm just an anxious owner. Will ants biting him hurt him? Do ants carry any parasites I should worry about? If they find their way into his cage he will try to eat them. We were outside in the aviary today and he tried to eat a honey bee while I had my back turned :eek: That would have been a fun trip to the emergency vet I'm sure.

Rambled a bit there, sorry. Any ant advice would be great but note I probably don't have the access to brands available in the US. (In NZ)

Thank you!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Look for ant traps, the kind where the ants go in and never come out :tup:

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
In the outside area you could use some diatomaceous earth to discourage the ants. In the house I use the ant baits that use boric acid as the main ingredient but it is NOT even close to my bird so I am not sure I would use it in the same room as the bird. You could put a small line of diatomaceous earth around the outside of the bird room as a barrier, then treat the rest of the house with the boric acid traps.