• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Antibiotic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernb85

Moving in
Real Name
Erin
My cockatiel was put on baytril on march 5th (.25ml /2x a day). The first bottle was supposed to last 10 days and didnt. Vet gave another bottle for another 10 days and again it didnt last. I just ran out tonight and I'm wondering if its going to hurt my little guy that he's not getting the full 2nd round of meds?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How many days total? And did he also give an antifungal? Most cav's give an antifungal whenever an antibiotic is administered. Really, I think there is no way for any of us to say whether your bird still needs meds. Only a vet can say. What was the reason he is on it? He should be tested for white blood cell count.{CBC}

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Are you sure you are giving the proper dose? 0.25 ml 2 times a day is 0.5 ml per day or 5 ml for ten days. Baytril bottles we have here have 20 ml in them and that would last 20 days. Do not mix up the liquid measure units (ml = milliliters) with solid measure units (mg - milligrams). How many milligrams of antibiotic are in a milliliter of the medication? Did that perhaps gets mixed up?

However, your bird does need to be seen by a vet again, especially if the dose was incorrect as an overdose could cause liver or kidney damage. Also, antibiotics should not be prescribed without a CBC bloodwork done to confirm an infection. Please speak with your vet again and get things clarified.

Ernb85

Moving in
Real Name
Erin
Talked with the vet and we're all good. I just need to keep an eye oh his eating and temp. I am going to find another vet though. I don't have a lot of trust for the one We were going to. I'm sure he's knowledgable but I felt he was pretty careless in hearing what was going on with my bird when he shouldn't be. He didn't take the time I felt the situation deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.