• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another "Odd Couple"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Murphy Lovebird has been here 2 weeks today. He and I have made no progress toward bonding. And he and Gussie GCC are definitely NOT going to be friends. And it's a mutual dislike :( But on the progress side. He is beginning to play with his toys...something with which he has had no prior experience. And is is beginning to make normal "happy" lovebird noises. I have been leaving his door open when I am home for the past week. He came out briefly once but went right back into his cage after a few times round the room. He doesn't fly well--improper fledging--but can fly well enough to make it the complete length of my small apartment. And he has no trouble making to the curtain rods, or landing. Today he finally decided to come out and stay out. He of course checked out Gussie's cage, but also checked out the play gym, which Gussie never uses so hopefully it can become his domain. But he has been hanging out on the canary cage! And his body language is of the "I'd like to be your friend" type. But even more amazing is the canary seems to like Murphy just as much. Jack Sparrow has been hanging on the side of the cage to get his head up closer to Murphy, perched on top of the cage. Or sitting on the perch nearest Murphy instead of his usual spot in front of his mirror. At one point he was even singing very softly to Murphy. Who'd have thought! I'm not worried about toes because Murphy seems to be a very gentle, non-aggressive lovie. I've caught him a couple of times and he squawked a few time but made no attempt to bite. The pet store reported the same thing. He's not a biter...unlike his predecessor Johari. I'm wondering if Gussie doesn't think Johari is back since they look just alike. Gussie liked Johari until she got bit--hard! So this may work out after all. If both Murphy and Jack enjoy sitting side by side, on opposite sides of the cage bars, of course, and Gussie enjoys sitting with me, we may just be a happy flock after all. Right now he is sitting on top of the canary cage, right under the full spectrum lamp, making quiet little chirpy noises, and Jack is sitting on his highest perch about 6 inches away. Just 2 little boys, "hanging out".

Last edited:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
That's really sweet. I'm glad that Jack and Murphy like each other. :)

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Hmmm... I think PICTURES are in order so we can assess the situation and give better advice. :dance4: :lol:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Hmmm... I think PICTURES are in order so we can assess the situation and give better advice. :dance4: :lol:
I've tried but Murphy is still pretty wary of me and goes on high alert if I approach w/ camera. Both Murphy & Jack spent quite a bit of time today sitting fairly close and singing quietly at the same time. It was the most singing I have ever heard from Jack! Murphy's singing was the typical lovebird "I'm cozy and happy" type song. It's the darnedest thing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.