• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

another first vet check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's daddy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christian
so last week i took Mojo to the vet for a first time since i have had him (tomorrow will be two weeks). i was told that the vet was one of the best in the state of CO. i do not agree. i walked out of her office only after feeling like i got ripped off for 80 bucks.

she wieghed mojo, a timneh at 5 months of age, and said he was under wieght. he wieghs in at 318 grams. she then said that i could feed him avacado and that may help. WTF..... did she get her vet license from a cracker jack box! "correct me if i am wrong but isn't avacado the first thing on the DO NOT FEED YOUR BIRD list?", i asked. "Oh no, i feed all of my birds avacado and they are doing fine," she claimed.

how am i to trust any info that this woman tells me as truth? lets just say i was super ••••ED.

NEVER AGAIN WILL THIS WOMAN SEE MY BABY!

so i got home and called around some more, i found a way better place to take my baby. when i spoke with the receptionist she told me that there are 4 vets, all own birds, my vet actually owns a grey. i am relieved by this simple fact. also 75 percent of there business is exotic animals.

all i gotta say is.........WISH ME LUCK! LOL

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Avacodo is along with fruits with pits, are very controversial topics.

I have to admit my Grandma who bred Grey's and BFA's fed her birds a huge variety of fresh food for 30 years. And avocado being on that list being fed daily. I believe its safe if its not the fruit fed nearest its pit, but the outter skins.

But it does sound like that vet wasnt a very good one.

Do you know what you all having done?

You need a CBC (Correct blood count, it measure, white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, etc), Throat and Fecal swab. These are always top on my priority list when Im taking my birds to the vet.

And your bird being a timneh, AND a flier AND just weaned, he'll be a bit "under weight". I'd say give him a couple more months until its a concern.

I for one do not understand why the vet (IS SHE IN AVIAN VET?) would recommend avocado for weight gain. w

Did she ask you what kind of diet you feed it? (By the way, what kind of diet DO you feed?)

Mojo's daddy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christian
i start the day off with veggies, still workin on that but he has gotten way better.
veggies include at this moment.... carrots, zuchinni, peas, kale. i am going to the store tommorrow to get the quinoa to make a mash (hoping he will like it). after the veggies, i switch to zoopream all natural pellets. he loves the fruit blend but i heard it has alot of sugars so i am not using it anymore. (as much of it he ate though, i would prefer the fruit blend if it is safe) i am going to the vet with a whole list of ?s about his diet though. and i am getting a fecal, and throat swab for sure. gotta figure out how much this visit is going to set me back to see if i can do the CBC straight away, or if i have to go back in a couple of weeks.

and to answer your ? yes the other vet was an avian vet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommended trying CRUSHED FLAX SEED :) Very high in good healthy fats, proteins and calories :)

Sweet potato is a good veggie to help gain weight :)

Have you tried any nuts or seeds added to his diet? Or even dried fruits? legumes are very healthy too, and sprouted seeds :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
318 grams for a Timneh is very healthy, depending on the size. I have a monster Timmy who weighs in at 360 right now but he's 7 and has been fully flighted almost his entire life. Did I mention he loves to eat as well? I think that when he came home at 4 months, he was only about 320 grams, so I wouldn't worry at all. I have friends with Timnehs who haven't even broken the 300 gram mark yet and they're three to four years old.

As for diet, fruity or natural Zupreem, either is going to be fine. Neither one has any more sugar than the other one. The coloring is fine too although I have to say that it can make a mess of their poop!;) Zupreem is one of the best pelletted diets on the market and is very thoroughly tested. You should be good to go with either natural or fruity.

Status
Not open for further replies.