• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Annual Checkup and Avi-Restraint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Emma will be going for her annual exam next month. I hope it will be as stressfree as possible. :fingerscrossed:

I towel her every month and she is quite easy going about it.. but I guess you never know how she'll be when the vet tries to towel her.:popcorn:

Anyways.. I came across this and I think it looks great. Wonder if this can be applied to an african grey.:unsure:

AviStraint

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah.. I just noticed that the parrot in that video is a grey.:hehe:

True Love Aviary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rodney Money
They are wonderful. Tamara and I will never let our birds be toweled again. Here's a blog on our Ashlee at one of her exams. They come in every size.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Ashlee at the Vet

Ashlee was in for her 2nd Polyoma Booster today! See why we get our birds vaccinated in the original post: Annual Exams

Ashlee looks a little angry here, but really she was just fine. She hardly even made a peep. The AviStraint was put on so that Dr. B could do her nails!​

Getting her pedicure.... Hehe! Ashlee was such a good girl today!​

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4:Wow!! Thanks for sharing!! I must send this link to my vet.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Interesting product. I don't know too much about it yet but will be doing my research. But I like the idea of having my own restraint... I always bring my own towels to the vet that my birds are used to to lessen the stress but also to prevent the spread of disease. I think it was Kathie from Bird Paradise that said on this board that so many groomers/vets still towel birds, which is a fantastic way of spreading disease... She doesn't towel at her store, but I wonder what she does?

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Wow, I've never seen those before, very cool! My only problem is, I can't see them being used on all birds. Those birds (in the video) seem quite calm...most birds especially more nervous and aggressive birds will probably still have to be toweled to get them restrained to even get that on them. I like the fact that it doesn't raise body temp though.
I don't know, I would have to see one being put on with my own eyes on a big strong fighting bird before I decide one whether they're really worth it. Of course I'm not a fan of toweling and I'm probably over thinking it I'm a little iffy lol!
Maybe I'll see you and Emma when she goes in for her annual!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, I've never seen those before, very cool! My only problem is, I can't see them being used on all birds. Those birds (in the video) seem quite calm...most birds especially more nervous and aggressive birds will probably still have to be toweled to get them restrained to even get that on them. I like the fact that it doesn't raise body temp though.
I don't know, I would have to see one being put on with my own eyes on a big strong fighting bird before I decide one whether they're really worth it. Of course I'm not a fan of toweling and I'm probably over thinking it I'm a little iffy lol!
Maybe I'll see you and Emma when she goes in for her annual!
That would be very nice to see you Jadie!!:hug8:I think this could work well for Sachi and Emma. They are quite calm parrots.:)

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
I'm sure these would work for Sachi and Emma, those nice girls:heart: I've toweled a couple of birds that would probably never let one of these on them :excited2:(though I am no pro in restraint and someone with more experience could do it easily I'm sure). I bet my Charlie would never let one of those on him with out making a scene lol, he has too much pride LOL.
:DI work quite a bit in may, If you want, let me know when your coming in! :o:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing this product!

Matt

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I have one for Truely and one for Trinket but my first vet said bluntly that he would never use it without explanation and I have never shown it to Dr. Harris. He just has two techs come in and hold the bird. I should email him a photo to get his opinion.

Ginger

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have one for Truely and one for Trinket but my first vet said bluntly that he would never use it without explanation and I have never shown it to Dr. Harris. He just has two techs come in and hold the bird. I should email him a photo to get his opinion.

Ginger
Dr Burkett has videos on You tube showing it and how to put it on.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
The only time my BCAV uses a towel is to get my guys out of their carriers and hand them over to technician. She is hands on and they know how to handle a bird without something obstructing what they are trying to do.

Sorry it seems more stressful for you to try and get that on a bird.JMO.

sugarbeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Beth
Our vet used a towel that was secured with a velcro strappy thing. I think I'd still prefer that option because the towel covered up Buzz's eyes, which I think helps calm them down and kept him from hating on people involved in the procedure. :) It was also faster than this restraint without all the neck-dangling.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sent you a pm Jadie:dance4:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
The only thing that I would be concerned with is that strap. If it is put on too tightly a bird can actually die from constriction of the chest. As you probably know, birds can not get choked by the neck, but can get suffocated with pressure on their abdomen/chest. Whenever I towel a bird I hold the head and put my other hand around the wings but put no pressure on the front of the bird.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
The only thing that I would be concerned with is that strap. If it is put on too tightly a bird can actually die from constriction of the chest. As you probably know, birds can not get choked by the neck, but can get suffocated with pressure on their abdomen/chest. Whenever I towel a bird I hold the head and put my other hand around the wings but put no pressure on the front of the bird.
Thanks for sharing that info Allison. :)

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Our vet used a towel that was secured with a velcro strappy thing. I think I'd still prefer that option because the towel covered up Buzz's eyes, which I think helps calm them down and kept him from hating on people involved in the procedure. :) It was also faster than this restraint without all the neck-dangling.
Most of the time, I don't use a towel at work to restrain a bird, but there are some instances when it is necessary. I'm going to show this to our vets tomorrow and see about ordering one to try it out. It looks interesting.

Actually, the way the tech was holding the birds is the preferred and proper way of restraint. It's just that not many of us restrain that way, but there are a few that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.