• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anecdotal Evidence ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Great stories, and they confirm what we've come to believe about Ziggy. He has an amazing sense of humor - actually a rather wicked one - and if someone says something sarcastic or ironic, he's often the first to laugh.

The other night, there was an unusual noise outside, and he whispered, "What's out there?" It's not a phrase we use, and certainly not one we have whispered.

I'm very happy thatElvis is now proud to be a bird. :heart:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Maybe it is what I make of it, maybe more, but I agree with the possibility of Bird ESP! I already have had experiences such as this with Prudence. (Though it could be more Body Language Based, animals are very perceptive)

I only have to think to myself "Prudence, Be nice" and she instantly stops grinding my finger in her beak (She LOVES to mouth my fingers for hours on end!! Not sure if its healthy....LOL) and she usually matches that action with a quick glance at me to make sure she's done what I wanted!! Of course she responds to the verbal cue also, but I swear sometimes I dont even have to say it!! Just think it!

BTW - Your stories are so sweet!
I cant wait until Prudence can vocalize, even if it isnt sweet nothings! Cant wait to hear her voice, just like how I felt with my human babies learning to talk!!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Elvis is so smart ;)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A macaw with it's own agenda?????? ha!
LOL, I know, right?

I think macaws just aren't the ESP types, :shrug: , y'know? I can totally see Greys or other sensitive species being tuned into thoughts like that. But macs? Well, I kinda see them as more like loud uncle Fred, who watches NASCAR and drives a truck. You know there may be psychics out there somewhere, but you're pretty darn sure he's not one of 'em :D But, they are all individuals, so who knows? :)

I'm very happy that Elvis is now proud to be a bird. :heart:
Me too :)

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dont know, I think Macaws can have ESP, perhaps we just dont notice it? Gra didnt have to read my mind to know what I wanted or how I felt. She would say things and behave a certain way by my moods. She was definetly empathetic. Typically when Im around birds, I dont think much. I just behave a certain way I know that typical bird will like. If I see a tail from a macaw pointing straight down or a bit flared, they seem hunched over and a bit fluffed around their nape of their neck and top of their wings, beak looking a certain way and their pupils look BIG, I back off. No thinking is needed, its all 2nd nature to me now. lol

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
What a great thread... Elvis is such a smart bird!! I loved reading those stories. I am hoping that I can develop such a great connection to Lola when she comes home as well :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am hoping that I can develop such a great connection to Lola when she comes home as well :)
:hug8: I want that for you too. Trust me, there's nothing like it. :)

drop

Cool stories everyone. I love reading these kinds of threads. I have also experienced the "Parrot esp", at first I thought maybe I was just imagining things, but it's good to see that others have experienced it too.

With Greys, I have thought that one of the reasons why they seem to be so very intune to "our thoughts" (or very subtle cues) is because they are birds that live in very large flocks of only their own kind and they also forage on the ground (which I guess gives them the need to more "aware and responsive" to certain things), which may differ compared to birds that form looser flocks and/or mixed species flocks, they maybe have a different need to pick up on very subtle cues from the others around them. Like, when you see Greys fly in a flock in the videos, they are almost like a single entity. I have never seen an in depth videos about wild Macaws, but in the ones that I have seen, the always seemed to be mostly in pairs especially when flying. How do they live and interact with others in the wild?

Last edited:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis is one intelligent girl A few weeks ago I was in my room and hirma was out of his cage.I couldnt see him and called out to him"where are you hiram" and he said "right here" he was on the her side of his cage.:lol:I definitely think they can sense our feelings.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With Greys, I have thought that one of the reasons why they seem to be so very intune to "our thoughts" (or very subtle cues) is because they are birds that live in very large flocks of only their own kind and they also forage on the ground (which I guess gives them the need to more "aware and responsive" to certain things), which may differ compared to birds that form looser flocks and/or mixed species flocks, they maybe have a different need to pick up on very subtle cues from the others around them. Like, when you see Greys fly in a flock in the videos, they are almost like a single entity. I have never seen an in depth videos about wild Macaws, but in the ones that I have seen, the always seemed to be mostly in pairs especially when flying. How do they live and interact with others in the wild?
Great point, Drop. The primary social unit for macaws is the pair. They will congregate in larger groups, but they maintain their distance. Kind of like a human family going to the beach :) That may indeed have something to do with the degrees and ways in which they are tuned to others.

drop

Great point, Drop. The primary social unit for macaws is the pair. They will congregate in larger groups, but they maintain their distance. Kind of like a human family going to the beach :) That may indeed have something to do with the degrees and ways in which they are tuned to others.
That's the same as what I read about them then, they were compared to people going to a restaurant.

Sorry to go off topic, but I remember you mentioning a video you watched awhile back about Macws in the wild. What was it called again? I would be interested in watching it.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's the same as what I read about them then, they were compared to people going to a restaurant.

Sorry to go off topic, but I remember you mentioning a video you watched awhile back about Macws in the wild. What was it called again? I would be interested in watching it.
Oh yes, I have it on my bookshelf. It's really good: The Real Macaw.

Jessalyn

Meeting neighbors
Oh yes! They certainly can. Now greys are something else entirely. ha! They are the english gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.